City has published updated advice for its students and staff on the outbreak of the coronavirus (COVID-19).

Latest information for students and staff

Last updated: 23 Dec 2021 4:17pm

Covid-19 Frequently Asked Questions

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, questions, concerns and thoughts with us.

We have created these FAQs to answer some of your queries and address the feedback you have given us. We will continue to keep this web page updated and if there are any significant changes, we will be in touch via email. If you have any specific concerns not covered here you can email us and your query will be directed to the most relevant person.

You can find further advice and updates on these websites:

Prospective students and applicants can find further information on our website.

Studies during 2021 and 2022

How will Term 2 be delivered?

We plan to continue to deliver a combination of in-person and online teaching for Term 2 and offer most of your academic and social activities on-campus and in-person.

To ensure we continue to offer on-campus activities safely and we will be delivering:

  • Seminars, workshops and smaller group teaching sessions: in person on campus
  • Practical elements of programmes, such as labs and use of specialist facilities: on campus
  • Large lectures: online and recorded so you can watch them at a time convenient to you. For some modules, large lectures will also be delivered in person.

We will continue to ensure that courses with practical, clinical, and Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Board (PSRB) requirements are delivered to meet these requirements.

How will my teaching be delivered in 21-22?

We will be delivering most of your academic and social activities on-campus and in-person, combined with interactive quality online learning resources.

As we move out of the Covid-19 pandemic, we may make changes to your timetable to deliver additional activities on campus. We will provide you with several weeks' notice so you have time to re-adjust any personal or work commitments.

Why won’t all my classes be delivered on campus as normal?

The Government has asked all universities to make a decision on how they will deliver the start of the 2021-22 academic year.

We have designed our approach based on what we have learnt from delivering education and support remotely during the pandemic and led by your feedback. We recognise you have commitments outside of your studies and our delivery is designed to offer you greater flexibility and choice in how you access your education at City and to support you in your transition back to learning in-person, on-campus.

Can I continue studying online or do I need to come to campus?

We expect all students, including those who have studied online for Term 1, to start their studies on campus for Term 2, where possible.

  • If you are an International student who is joining us in-person for the first time in Term 2, please make sure you have received your CAS by 7th January 2022 and you are expecting to be in the UK for the start of Term 2.

What to do if you can’t join us in person

While we expect you to join us on campus, we understand there may be individual reasons this isn’t possible.

  • If your circumstances mean you can’t join us for Term 2 and your School has not already been in contact, please speak to your Course Office who will discuss options with you to help you make an informed decision.
  • If you are currently studying online and your programme requires in person attendance, your Course Office will have contacted you about this requirement.
  • If you are an International student who is planning to continue studying online for Term 2 please be aware that this means you will not be able to apply for a CAS for the remainder of the academic year and you might not be eligible for the Graduate Immigration Route. You can find further information about your CAS and any implications for the Graduate Immigration Scheme in in our international FAQs below.

Where can I get advice for studying online?

Our Academic Skills team have put together some helpful tips for studying online, using Microsoft Teams and Zoom and study skills guides, which you can find on the Student Hub.

What should I do if I can’t meet an assessment deadline?

Speak to your Course Office, who can advise you on next steps.

You can find information about our Extenuating Circumstances process, which we have adapted to support your needs during the pandemic, on the Student Hub.

If I have in-person teaching, do I have to come to campus if I have underlying health condition, caring responsibilities or live with someone who is vulnerable?

If you have exceptional circumstances which prevent you from travelling to campus please let your School know through our existing processes. Cases will be looked at on an individual basis - you can find more information in your Programme Handbook.

Our campus

Is campus open?

In line with Department for Education guidance, City’s campus will remain open over the Winter break, aside from on Christmas closure days (24th December- 28th December and 1st January).

Please check the Northampton Square Library and The Business School Library web pages for their opening times.

You can find out about the health and safety measures in place and what you need to do while you are on campus on the Student Hub.

Please make sure you take Covid-19 tests twice a week and only come onto campus if you have received a negative result. You can access free tests through your local testing centre or by ordering home tests.

Can I access free Covid-19 tests before I come to campus?

Yes – to reduce the spread of the virus and keep all people on campus safe, we strongly encourage you to take a test and only come onto campus on the basis of a negative Covid-19 result.

You can book tests through local testing centres in your area or order home tests online from the Government website.

If your lateral flow test result is positive, , please self-isolate immediately, book a PCR test through the NHS and let us know by completing the City Covid-19 reporting form. If your PCR test result is positive, please ensure you update your notification form.

If you have symptoms of Covid-19

The lateral flow tests are for students who do not have symptoms of Covid-19 - if you do have symptoms, self isolate immediately, book a PCR test through the NHS and let us know by completing the City Covid-19 reporting form. If your PCR test result is positive, please ensure you update your notification form.

What are you doing to protect the health and safety of students on campus?

The health and safety of our students and staff remains our top priority and we have put appropriate measures in place to ensure campus is prepared for social distancing, including:

  • Carrying out thorough risk assessments for all areas of the campus and mapping capacity in line with social distancing requirements
  • Putting one-way systems into place where possible
  • Arranging seating areas so people can socialise safely
  • Installing hand sanitation stations across our buildings
  • Ensuring appropriate cleaning programmes are in place
  • Adding clear signage about social distancing and face coverings to the entrances and inside our buildings
  • Installing safety screens for our reception desks
  • Providing face coverings and exemption lanyards at reception desks

You can find further information about health and safety on campus on the Student Hub.

Staff across the University are working hard to ensure we implement the latest Government guidance, including changes to social distancing guidelines and we will continue to update our plans as required.

Do I have to wear a face covering on campus?

We expect you to wear a face covering in all indoor spaces on campus, unless you are exempt.

In all spaces on campus, please respect other students’ and staff members decision to wear a face covering and where possible, wear a face covering if another person is uncomfortable.

I’m worried about traveling– is it safe to travel to campus?

You can find advice on how to travel safely from Transport for London and the Government and we have put together some guidance on useful routes and apps to plan your journey on the Student Hub.

Do I need to show proof I've had Covid-19 vaccinations to come onto campus?

You are not required to have had the vaccines or show proof to come onto campus; however, we strongly encourage all members of our community to get the vaccine to help protect themselves and others. Please note, you may be required to show proof of being vaccinated or a negative lateral flow test, in other external venues, so make sure you check entry requirements.

Where do I collect my new ID card on campus?

To collect your new student ID card please email to let them know when you plan to collect the card and then visit the Security Desk in the University Building.


What support is available to me?

From Friday 24th December- Monday 3rd January, Student Support Services and the Student Counselling, Mental Health and Accessibility Service will be closed.

While these services will be closed over the winter break, there is still lots of online support available to you. You can find further information in this email and on the Student Hub.

What financial support is available?

If you need any additional financial support, the University and Students’ Union both have funds which you can apply for:

  • SU short term loansprovides interest free, short-term loans up to £200 to help with short-term cash flow issues.
  • Hardship Fund – provides financial support if you are in financial hardship or face an unexpected financial emergency.
  • Bursaries and scholarships – provide funding to support you throughout our studies.

International students

Can I travel to the UK for my studies?

Yes - as a Student Visa sponsored student, you can travel to the UK.

If you plan to travel to England from overseas, you will need to do the following things before you travel

  • Check any requirements and restrictions from your country of travel and for the UK.
  • Take a Covid-19 test and get a negative result three days before you travel.
  • Complete a passenger locator form listing where you will quarantine upon arrival. You can only complete this form 48 hours before your travels.
  • Be ready to present proof of study documents when you arrive in the UK including Passenger Locator Form and confirmation of the booked tests.
  • Regularly check all relevant guidance pages for the latest updates before you travel, as guidance may change at very short notice.
  • Speak to your travel insurer to understand the implications of changing your travel date

If you have any further questions or concerns about the testing and Covid restrictions, please email For visa and immigration queries, please contact the International Student Advice Team.

When do I need to apply for a CAS by?

You will need to apply for your CAS now.  Our deadline for completing the CAS process is 7th January so you need to complete all the relevant steps before then and arrive in the UK for the start of Term 2.

Can I study online in Term 2 and apply for a CAS for Term 3?

No – you will need to apply for your CAS now and arrive in the UK for the start of Term 2.

Can I study online for Term 2 and apply for the Graduate Immigration Route?

No- you have to apply for a CAS as soon as possible and be in the UK for the start of Term 2.

If you are an Undergraduate Student, you can study the first/second year online and then apply for a CAS for year 2/year 3. You can still apply for the Graduate Immigration Route at the end of your studies, as long as you will have spent 12 months or more in the UK on a Student Visa.

Should I still come to the UK for my studies in Term 2?

If you were planning to join us in person for Term 2, you should still travel as planned, if it safe to do so.

If you have any further questions about how your course will be delivered in Term 2, please contact your Course Office.


Can I book accommodation for Term 2?

If you are joining us in Term 2 and would like accommodation, please email the Accommodation Team from mid-December onwards to find out if there is any availability. Please note, accommodation is not guaranteed for students joining from Term 2.

You can find further information about accommodation on our Student Hub page.

Do you offer short term accommodation?

We are not offering short-term accommodation at City halls of residence for 2021/2022. However, The University of London Housing Services (ULHS) has a variety of short term housing options available.

Options offered include rooms in halls of residence - both serviced by the University of London and options from private providers - and serviced apartments.

Will my halls be safe and how will social distancing work?

As you would expect, all of our accommodations providers have arrangements in place to ensure health and safety measures in line with the current UK government guidance. These measures include: enhanced cleaning schedules, pre-booking arrangements to ensure smooth socially distanced check-ins and the option and support of a 14 day arrival quarantine where required.


How is the University coordinating its response to the Covid-19 outbreak?

The University is following an established action plan to coordinate our response. We are also following advice from Government, Public Health England and Universities UK to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our community of students, staff and visitors.

Will there be a reduction in tuition fees for 2020-21 academic year?

City continues to operate in line with ongoing Government advice for universities for managing/responding to the Covid-19 pandemic. This advice has required changes to ensure the health and safety of our staff and students. We have aimed to be clear for new and continuing students on what the impact of these changes would be on their programme at the start of the academic year, including to the delivery of teaching and assessments. We have also endeavoured to respond reasonably and proportionately to changes since the start of the academic year, and in response to student feedback.

City does not intend to offer reductions on 20/21 fees. However, we recognise that there may be exceptional circumstances or genuine concerns despite the University’s best endeavours in which we continue to operate. If you believe that the university has not fulfilled its responsibilities to you in the way we are responding to and mitigating the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic in 20/21, taking into consideration what has been reasonable and proportionate in the circumstances, then you can make a complaint, stating what action you are seeking. The first stage of the complaints procedure is to seek to resolve your complaint through informal means, which would normally mean with your School if your complaint is related to your academic programme.