City has published updated advice for its students and staff on the outbreak of the coronavirus (COVID-19).

Latest information for students and staff

Last updated: 13 Aug 2020 5:45pm

As a result of the evolving situation regarding coronavirus, all in person appointments with the counselling, mental health, neurodiversity and disability teams are currently suspended. We are operating a remote service until further notice. If you have not previously registered with any of the teams, please email us with your queries at:

  • for counselling enquires
  • for mental health enquiries
  • for disability enquiries
  • for neurodiversity enquiries

The relevant support service will reply to your email.If you require emergency support and advice regarding your mental health, please contact your GP or, take a look at the list of helpline services and crisis and emergency information, available on our website at you have any concerns about your wellbeing or safety, you can do any of the following:

  • Contact your G.P. to request an emergency, same day appointment
  • Call the Samaritans on 116 123 (UK) – they can also be contact via email or in branch ·
  • Visit your nearest A&E which you can find here
  • If you require immediate urgent care, dial 99

We understand that students may be worried about current news and circumstances, regularly updated information and guidance for students can be found here.We are regularly updating our webpages with information about how to stay connected and take care of yourselves during this period so, strongly encourage you follow us on Instagram @cityunistressless.

Disability Support Current Service:

The Disability Support team works with students with a range of diagnosed disabilities and long-term health conditions to identify strategies and reasonable adjustments which will enhance the learning experience of students. Under the current circumstances, our usual in-person registrations are suspended until further notice. However, we are currently able to provide the following remotely:

  • Discussion appointments via Microsoft Teams for students already registered with our service
  • Recommendations for temporary reasonable adjustments
  • Guidance about internal and external support services
  • Information about coming to City/transition planning
  • Information about Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)

If you are not already registered with Disability Support and require reasonable adjustments such as exam arrangements, please complete the following steps:

Please note: Any temporary adjustments we offer will only be in place until 31st August 2020.  Students who wish to extend their adjustments will need to contact us and attend an in person registration appointment prior to the start of the new academic year, on resumption of normal services. To complete registration with us and extend adjustments at that point, further medical evidence may be requested and there is no guarantee adjustments will be extended or remain the same.

Scribes and/or readers for remote exams – COVID-19

Some students who are registered with the Disability or Neurodiversity service may have previously had face to face support from a reader and/or a scribe for exams.

If this applies to you and your exam adjustments, you may wish to consider other alternatives now that exams are currently taking place remotely. For example:

  • Text-to-speech software as a computer reader and/or Speech-to-text dictation software. There is full information on software options available here on the Student Academic Development and Student Wellbeing Moodle course under the ‘Assistive Technology’ section. Please click on the ‘Free Assistive Technology for PCs and Macs’ attachment.

However, do make sure you are familiar with the software and practice using it before any exam that you will use it in.

We appreciate that these are stressful times and we hope that you are managing comfortably with your current work set up. You may explore other ways of working at home that suit your needs. Please also click on our Moodle site here for further wellbeing tips and online study strategies.

If you have any questions regarding the above and would like to further discuss using assistive technology, please email: to arrange an appointment with a Disability Advisor or for an appointment with a Neurodiversity Tutor.