City has published updated advice for its students and staff on the outbreak of the coronavirus (COVID-19).

Latest information for students and staff

Last updated: 13 Aug 2020 5:45pm

EU referendum: information for students

Here at City we’re proud to have a strong global community, with students and staff from across the world. Whilst there may be some changes which will impact some of our community as a result of the UK’s decision to leave the EU, we will continue to support you throughout your studies.

EEA Nationals: information for students

The UK has now formally left the EU after three years of discussion and negotiation. There is now a transitional period until the end of 2020. The current free movement continues to apply during the transition period. Please see more information below:

Information for current City students

The UK Government is committed to protect the rights of EU citizens and their family members currently living in the UK, including citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. This includes the right to live here, to study, work and access public services such as healthcare. To retain these rights beyond 31 December 2020, all current students and their family members must apply for EU Settlement Scheme. The process is free, online straight-forward and should take no more than 30 minutes. The deadline for applying is 30 June 2021. If you need further advice or help with your application please contact International Visa Advice Team.

Current students from the EU will continue to have access to UK student loans for the duration of their studies and these arrangements are entirely unchanged.

We can confirm that current EU students will continue to be charged the same tuition fee as UK students for the duration of their course. This is the ‘regulated UK fee’ and details are included within our course pages.

Information for EU students studying in the UK on the Erasmus programme:

  • Erasmus students will continue to be eligible for their Erasmus grants and there will be no immediate changes to their immigration status.
  • UK students studying in the EU and elsewhere will continue to be eligible for their Erasmus grants and there will be no immediate changes to their immigration status.

EU Settlement Scheme

If you have been living in the UK for five years, you can apply for permission to stay in the UK indefinitely (known as settled status).

Alternatively, you can apply for permission to stay in the UK for five years (known as pre-settled status). If you have just arrived in the UK, you can do so once you register in-person as a student at the university.

After you have completed 5 years in the UK, you can then apply for settled status (confirmation that you have the right to remain permanently in the UK).

Family Member of EEA nationals

If your family members are EU nationals living in the UK with you, they can also apply via the EU Settlement Scheme. If your family members are non-EEA nationals then they should apply after your application has been successful. Family members of British citizens who are currently in the UK under EU law provisions are also able to apply.

Swiss nationals

Swiss nationals are eligible to apply under the EU settlement Scheme.

Comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI)

Those applying under the EU Settlement Scheme will not be required to show that they held comprehensive sickness insurance during their time in the UK.

However, we would advise that you obtain a European Health Insurance Card from your home country before travelling to the UK in order to ensure that you can easily access services on arrival e.g. healthcare until you are able to successfully apply under the EU Settlement Scheme.

FAQs about the EU Settlement Scheme

When is the deadline to apply?

If you are still living in the UK on 31 December 2020, you will need to apply before 30 June 2021 if you wish to retain your right to live, work and/or study in the UK after then.

How do I apply?

The application is made online and is free and permission is confirmed online through an online service unless you are a non-EEA family member and do not hold a biometric residence permit already. You will usually be emailed a decision on your application within 3 - 5 working days unless the Home Office needs to make further enquiries.

What documents do I need to apply?
  • Passport or valid national identity card

You will be asked to upload a passport or valid national identity card digitally using an app on an Android phone or tablet with OS 6.0 or above if your document has a biometric digital chip. Alternatively, if you cannot use the app, you can send your document by post or pay to have it scanned at an approved centre.

  • Proof of residence in the UK

If you are applying for pre-settled status, you can upload a student status letter to show that you are resident in the UK.

If you are applying for settled status, you will need to show that you have been living in the UK for 5 years. If you have a National Insurance Number the Home Office will be able to check your residency against government records. Please see the UK Home Office website for examples of other types of documents that can be relied on to establish residency including Qualification Certificates. You will be asked to scan supporting documents as part of your application.

Further Information