City has published updated advice for its students and staff on the outbreak of a new coronavirus originating in Wuhan City, China.

Last updated: 06 Feb 2020 8:28am

A confidential service free to all City students.

Student Counselling and Mental Health Service

The Counselling Service is a safe place to talk and think about matters that are troubling or distressing you. The members of our team have a lot of experience of working with students. We know that undertaking a degree or training, no matter what stage in your life, can be a momentous and challenging process. Many students have travelled great distances from their home to come to City, sometimes leaving behind complex or painful family issues. Relationships with other people, personal as well as academic, can add to the challenges of studying.

How to access our service

At our daily Intake session, we make it as easy as possible for students to have an initial consultation with a team member. This is a brief session of up to 20 minutes, to let us find out what has brought you to see us and to discuss how we may be able to help. [Please note: We do not provide letters of support for Extenuating Circumstances, following an Initial Consultation.]

To access our service, follow these steps:

  1. Complete the Student Counselling registration form - this is accessible from your e:vision homepage. You can do this on any computer, or complete the form on one of the iPads, in our reception area.
  2. Attend an Intake session - these run every Monday to Friday, at 1:00 pm. Students are seen, on a first-come-first-served basis, for an Initial Consultation with a member of our team.
  3. During the Initial Consultation, you will be told about services we can offer you. You will probably then be advised to spend a little time considering the options, before making an appointment for another session.

If you are unable to attend a lunch-time Intake Session, it may be possible to book an appointment for a time that is more convenient for you; however, there is likely to be a delay for such an appointment.

If you feel the need to speak to someone immediately please see our Crisis and Emergency and Helpline Support pages.

Forms of support

Once you have attended an initial consultation, if you require further support you may be offered one of the following:

  • Group therapy
  • Brief individual counselling and cognitive behaviour therapy
  • Support with referrals to internal and external services
  • Workshops and self-help resources

You must be registered with a GP before we can offer you ongoing support. To find your nearest NHS surgery, please visit

We do not provide mental health diagnosis, psychiatric or long-term psychological treatment. We will not provide letters for extenuating circumstances if you are not currently engaged in support with us.

If you are seeking online or telephone counselling you may find the following link useful

Students who interrupt / suspend/ are dormant or withdrawn from courses

The Student Counselling and Mental Health Service are unable to offer ongoing support to students who are dormant, have suspended, interrupted or been withdrawn from their studies.
If a student requires advice on where to access external support, they can attend a one off initial consultation (within 2 weeks of being notified by City of their situation), where they can discuss their options with a member of the team.
Once the student resumes their studies, they will be able to fully access the counselling service and the range of support options that are on offer.
Students who are eligible for support through the Mental Health Team and require a review of their adjustments or advice about university process can book an appointment with a member of the team. They may be offered more regular support in the 4-6 weeks prior to their return to study or an assessment, this will be based on individual needs and resources.

Immediate contact

If you feel the need to speak to someone more immediately please see our Crisis and Emergency and Helpline Support pages.