Crisis and emergency
Worried about the wellbeing or safety of yourself or another student?
I require immediate, urgent medical or psychological help and support
If you require immediate, urgent medical or psychological help and support you can do any of the following:
- Contact your GP to book an emergency appointment
- Call the Samaritans on 116 123
- If you are currently in student halls you can contact a member of staff for help and support
- Visit your nearest A&E, which you can find here
- If more immediate, urgent care is required you can call an ambulance by dialling 999
- For a list of other helpline, text and in-person support services please see our helpline page
- If you are outside of the UK, please contact your local doctor or specialist services
I have a mental health condition and access specialist NHS services
If you have a mental health condition and are already accessing specialist NHS services, as well as making use of the emergency medical and psychological services listed above, you are encouraged to do the following:
- Contact your specialist mental health team (e.g. Community Mental Health team, Early Intervention team etc)
- If you are currently under the care of a local Crisis Team you can contact them directly
- Follow your personalised crisis and emergency plan or any advice provided by your specialist team
For a list of other helpline, text and in-person support services please see our helpline page.
The Student Counselling, Mental Health and Accessibility Service is not a crisis support service. If you are concerned about your safety you should contact the crisis and emergency service listed above in the first instance however, if you feel it would be helpful to speak to someone you can also contact us. Where possible we will try to offer you a discussion within 24 hours. We are usually open Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm and are currently operating a remote service only. If the service is closed and you are concerned for your safety and wellbeing and feel that you need more immediate, urgent medical of psychological help you should contact any of the services listed above.