Student Funding

We’re here to support you with all your student funding queries. Whether you need help with sorting your Student Finance or want to find out about which bursaries are available to you, we can help you find the right answer.

How we can support you

You can find all information about student funding on this page and our page on the City website . If you have any further questions, please send us a query via email Support@City

The Student Funding Team can help with queries about student loans, grants, scholarships and hardship funds please contact us via Support@City

We offer remote appointment slots for complex student funding queries on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.

If you would like to speak to a member of the Student Funding Team you can book a remote funding advice appointment using our online booking form.

For any queries related to tuition fees please contact [email protected] or visit the Income Team’s Student Hub pages.

Cost of Living support

For information about the increased number of Micro-Placement travel bursaries available, please visit the Micro-Placement page on the Student Hub.

You can also find out about the range of Cost of Living support available to you on the dedicated Cost of Living Hub.

Funding available for current students

We have funding options available for current students.

Help if you are struggling financially

Eligible students who are struggling financially or facing unforeseen hardship can access the following sources of support:

* Applies to eligible students who started one of the following undergraduate courses Midwifery, Nursing, Radiography and Speech and Language Therapy after 1 August 2017.

City Travel Bursary 2023

Applications for the City Travel Bursary are now closed for 2022/23

1st Formations Business Scholarship

The 1st Formations Business Scholarship is available to all current undergraduate and postgraduate degree students, intended to help with some of the additional costs of studying.

The scholarship awards up to ten successful applicants with a bursary of £1,500 each.

The closing date for applications for the 2022-23 academic year is 31st January 2023, with successful candidates being contacted by the end of February. You can read more and apply through the 1st Formations website.

Scholarships, Bursaries and Grants

City, University of London offers scholarships, bursaries and grants to help make University affordable and living costs achievable. Unlike student loans, you don't need to pay back these awards.

You can use our scholarships and bursaries finder to search for scholarships, bursaries and grants.

Grow your financial skills

Free Access to the Blackbullion Learning Platform

Blackbullion is a learning platform designed to help you to explore and understand all things money related. The platform is filled with useful videos, articles, and tools to enhance your financial capability and to empower you to make informed financial decisions. You can find information and guidance on topics from starting university and budgeting through to credit cards and tax.

Blackbullion is completely free for City students to access. You will need to register with your City email address when you create your account.

City Funding Support

Find out where you can find support with your finances whilst studying at City, University of London.

Applying for Student Finance

Students should reapply for their student finance as early as possible to avoid delays in receiving their loans and/or allowances at the start of the new 2021/22 academic year. Apply online.

Postgraduate Funding

A Postgraduate Master’s Loan can help with course fees and living costs while you study a postgraduate master’s course. You can get up to:

  • £11,570 if your course starts on or after 1 August 2021
  • £11,222 if your course started between 1 August 2020 and 31 July 2021
  • £10,906 if your course started between 1 August 2019 and 31 July 2020

The amount you’ll get is not based on your income or that of your family.

Other funding resources

Check the City website for available Scholarships and Bursaries

The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding - this includes guidance on approaching Trusts and Charities for financial support. You’ll need these details to login:

Scholarship search engines include:

US & Canadian Loans

City, University of London participates in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program (Direct Loans) which can provide funding to cover your tuition fees and living expenses, subject to approval by City. To find out more about the US Loan application process, private student loans and further guidance please visit the US Loan pages on the City website

For any Canadian loan queries, please contact us via Support@City

City Student Union Money Advice Service

Students’ Union have a dedicated Money Advice service. Just like their Academic Advice service, this service is free, confidential, independent, and non-judgemental. The Money Advice Service are here to empower you to make your own decisions.

Find out more about the support and financial assistance they provide

External Student Funding Support Resources

Save the Student: The student money website for everything student finance. Get the latest student discounts, student jobs, make money ideas and more.

Money and Pensions Service: Provides free and impartial debt advice, money guidance and pension guidance to members of the public.

Money Saving Expert: Martin Lewis’s guide and tools to help you save money whilst studying.

The Student Money Manual: The Money Charity provides a free essential guide to student finance and managing money at university.