EU students and EU Settlement Scheme

Find out more information for current and new EU students at City, and about the EU Settlement Scheme that allows EEA nationals and their family members to apply for the right to remain in the UK long term.

Information for current students

The UK Government is committed to protect the rights of EU citizens and their family members currently living in the UK, including citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. This includes the right to live here, to study, work and access public services such as healthcare.

To retain these rights after the UK's exit from the EU, all current students and their family members had to apply for EU Settlement Scheme.

The deadline for applying was 30th June 2021, if you took residency in the UK before the 31st December 2020.

If you need further advice or help with your application please contact International Visa Advice Team.

EU Settlement Scheme

EEA Students

I am an EU/EEA student at City. Should I apply under the UK Governments’ EU Settlement Scheme?

The deadline to apply for the EU settlement scheme has now passed. Under extenuating circumstances, late applications can be made but it is the decision of the Home Office to accept these or not.

How do I apply?

The application is very straightforward, free and can be completed online on an Android phone, iPhone 7 or above, or tablet, if your identity document has a biometric digital chip. You will be emailed a decision on your application within 3 - 5 working days unless the Home Office needs to make further enquiries. You can start your application here.

If you are a non-EEA family member and do not hold a biometric residence permit already, you will need to book an appointment at a UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS) service point to provide your biometric information when you apply and submit your documents. You can find the service point by typing your postcode here.

What documents do I need to apply?

  • Passport or valid national identity card

You will be asked to upload a passport or valid national identity card digitally using the EU Exit: ID Document Check app. If you cannot use the app, you can send your document by post or pay to have it scanned at an approved centre. You can find the service point by typing your postcode here.

  • Proof of residence in the UK

If you are applying for pre-settled status, you can upload a student status letter to show that you are resident in the UK. You can request the letter from the Student Centre.

If you are applying for settled status, you will need to show that you have been living in the UK for 5 years. If you have a National Insurance Number the Home Office will be able to check your residency against government records. Please see the UK Home Office website for examples of other types of documents that can be relied on to establish residency including Qualification Certificates. You will be asked to scan supporting documents as part of your application.

  • Your photograph

As part of the online application, you will be asked to upload a recent digital photo of your face.

  • Proof of your extenuating circumstances

As the deadline to apply has passed, you will need to submit proof of the compelling or exceptional circumstances that did not allow you to apply on time.

What is the difference between settled and pre-settled?

  • Pre-settled status

If you have lived in the UK for less than 5 years, you will receive this status which will allow you to remain in the UK for 5 years. Once you complete 5 years living in the UK (you can consider the time spent before received the pre-settled status), you can apply for settled status.

  • Settled status

If you have lived in the UK for 5 years or more, you will receive Settled status. This means that you have the right to live permanently in the UK.

Further Information

For UK government Information about applying

UKCISA Advice and Guidance about applying:

Free Movement immigration law blog: How to apply for “settled status” for EU citizens

Current students from the EU, who already have UK student loans, will continue to have access to them for the duration of their studies and these arrangements are unchanged.

We can confirm that current EU students will continue to be charged the same tuition fee as UK students for the duration of their course. This is the ‘regulated UK fee’ and details are included within our course pages.