You may be required to register with the police within 7 days of arrival in the UK. This requirement will be written on your UK visa.
UPDATE: OVRO is about to launch a new secure cloud based online registration portal that will go live on Wednesday 7th April 2021.
Students requiring police registration services will be able to access the online portal from 7th April 2021 via the OVRO website under the ‘How to register’ section.
Please note that the website at present shows details of the current set up and the content will be updated on 7th April 2021.
Students must select ‘Create an account’ at the ‘Log in’ page to access the new system.
Please rest assured that no penalty action will be taken for delayed registration/reporting before the new system is operative.
Check if you need to register with the Police
Nationals from certain countries may be required to register with the Police within 7 days of arrival in the UK.
You’ll be told if you need to register with the police on one of the following documents:
- your entry visa vignette (if you’re travelling to the UK)
- your decision email letter from the Home Office
It is important that you read any letters from the UK Visa and Immigration Service carefully to see if you need to register. If it is written in the letter it is a legal requirement of your visa.
If you are required to register with the Police, you will need to obtain a Police Registration Certificate (PRC) at the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO).
No walk-in customers will be accepted by OVRO. You should book an appointment through OVRO’s Online Appointment Booking System.
If you are updating an existing police registration certificate, you must use the online booking system through the OVRO.
Complete the 'Police Registration Proforma' online and then print out a copy. Please use below information to help you complete the online Proforma:
- Previous non-UK Address: address at your home country
- Place of Arrival: name of the airport you arrived at (e.g. London Heathrow)
- Full name and Address of University: City University London, 10 Northampton Square, London EC1V 0HB
- UK Residential Address: your current address in London
- Signature: please make sure your signature is signed within the box
When you attend your appointment, you must bring the following documents:
- your completed registration form
- one UK passport-sized photo (45mm x 35mm), glued to the form
- your passport (containing your visa vignette)
- Email Decision Letter confirming that you a required to register with the Police (if it is not noted on your visa)
- your biometric residence permit (BRP)
- £34 registration fee must be paid by Credit/Debit card of by mobile app payment such as Apple / Google Pay. OVRO no longer accepts cash.
Address: Southwark Police Station, 323 Borough High Street, London, SE1 1JL
Nearest tube station: Borough (on the Northern Line).
Please check carefully whether you need to register with the police, as the consequences of not doing so can be serious.
You should keep your Police Registration Certificate in a safe place at home - you do not need to carry it with you every day. However, you should remember to take it if you travel outside the UK as you may be asked to show it at Immigration controls.
If your circumstances change whilst you are here in the UK, you will need to tell the Police and update your Police Registration Certificate within 7 days. There is no charge for this. If you fail to do this it is a breach of your immigration conditions and you could face a fine or prison sentence and have your immigration permission cancelled.
For all changes to circumstances, you should book an appointment through OVRO’s Online Appointment Booking System to attend OVRO in Borough. If you are out of the UK for more than 12 months, your PRC is no longer valid and you will need to pay for a new one.
The following changes which should be recorded include:
- Visa extension
- Change of course
- Change of address
- Change of name
- Getting a new passport
- Getting married or divorced
Change of address can be done at your local police station
If you are living in London and only need to change your address, then you can update this information at a local police station. The nearest police station from main campus is Islington Police Station, 2 Tolpuddle Street, London N1 0YY. Remember you must do this within 7 days.