Tier 5 Visa Schemes

There are two Temporary Worker visa schemes which which you may be eligible to apply for,  Youth Mobility Scheme (T5) and  (T5) - Government Authorised Exchange.

Youth Mobility Scheme

About the scheme

Under the Youth Mobility Scheme, nationals of Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, San Marino, Taiwan and Hong Kong (SAR), and  British Overseas Citizens, British Overseas Territories Citizens and British Nationals (Overseas) can apply to work in the UK for 2 years.

  • You can study, work in most jobs or be self-employed.
  • You cannot access public funds, work as a doctor, a dentist in training or a professional sportsperson or apply and extend your stay in the UK or switch into another visa category from within the UK.
  • It costs £244
  • to apply for this visa from outside the UK or to apply to switch to the Scheme from within the UK, plus £470per year for the healthcare surcharge plus a biometric enrolment fee of £19.20.


  • You cant switch into this visa category from within the UK or apply y from your home country for an entry clearance.
  • You must be aged between 18 and 30
  • You must have £2530 in your personal bank account for a minimum of 28 days in a row. Day 28 must be within 31 days of the date on which you apply for entry clearance or immigration permission to switch to the Scheme.

How to apply

Apply to the Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) via the Home Office's website.

Please find the CESC countries discounts here.

Youth Mobility Scheme visa (T5)

The requirement for a CoS for Youth Mobility Scheme applicants is being replaced by a requirement for those applying from countries or territories without Deemed Sponsorship Status to produce evidence of sponsorship within 6 months of being in the UK.

The country allocations under this route have been decided and are as follows:

  • Australia – 30,000 places
  • New Zealand – 13,000 places
  • Canada – 6,000 places (was 5,000)
  • Japan – 1,500 places (was 1,000)
  • Monaco – 1,000 places
  • Taiwan – 1,000 places
  • Hong Kong – 1,000 places
  • Republic of Korea – 1,000 places

Tier 5: Temporary Worker - Government Authorised Exchange (T5)

About the scheme

    The scheme allows you to undertake specific types of work in the UK, for example internships and work placements which are supernumerary for a period of 1 year or for 2 years, depending on the scheme. Supernumerary means the employer is creating a position for you in excess of or outside of their regular staffing requirements.

    • Once you have been offered a work placement/internship you or your employer must contact one of the approved Tier 5 Sponsor Schemes for sponsorship.
    • Your T 5 sponsor must issue a certificate of sponsorship to you before you can make your immigration permission application.
    • You should contact one of the listed Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange) sponsors for sponsorship for any professional training or internship that you are interested in, and to ask for full details of eligibility and how to apply.
    • It costs £244 (less £50 if you are from the EU, North Macedonia, Norway or Turkey)  to apply for this visa from outside the UK or to apply to switch to the Scheme from within the UK, plus £470 per year for the healthcare surcharge plus if applying to switch a biometric enrolment fee of £19.20   plus £800 for a super priority service from inside the UK
    • You can bring your dependants with you.
    • You can work in the job described in your certificate of sponsorship, and do a second job for up to 20 hours per week in the same sector and at the same level as the work for which the Certificate of Sponsorship was assigned, or do a job on the Skilled Worker  shortage occupation list for up to 20 hours per week as well as your main job.


You can make an application to stay in the UK under the (Government Authorised Exchange) Tier 5 if you meet all the following requirements:

  • You have Tier 4/Student Route immigration permission.
  • You have obtained a UK recognised degree during your most recent period of immigration permission.
  • You are being sponsored under Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange) either to undertake a period of postgraduate professional training or work experience which is required to obtain a professional qualification or professional registration in the same field as your UK qualification, or you are being sponsored for up to 12 months to undertake an internship which directly relates to your UK qualification.
  • Your employer does not intend to employ you in the UK once your training or work experience for which you are being sponsored has ended.
  • You must be able to show that you have held funds of £1270 in an account that is acceptable to the Home Office for at least  28 consecutive days in a row before you apply. Day 28 must be within 31 days of applying for this visa.
  • Alternatively, you do not have to provide any evidence of funds if your T5 sponsor is A-rated and is willing to confirm on your certificate of sponsorship that they certify maintenance. How to apply
  • Apply for immigration permission under the (Government Authorised Exchange) T5 via the Home Office's website.

How to apply

Apply for immigration permission under the Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange) via the Home Office's website.