Advice and treatment

General health advice


Meningitis and MMR

If you are 24 years old or younger and starting university for the first time it is strongly recommended that you have the Men ACWY vaccine. Meningitis is a serious infection which can kill.

Mumps has also become a problem in some UK universities. We are recommending that all students who have not had two doses of the MMR vaccine visit the Health Centre or their GP as soon as possible to have the vaccine. There is no upper age limit for having the vaccine. There will be no charge for being immunised.

To receive the Meningitis ACWY vaccination, you can receive the vaccination from your GP or they can redirect you to where you can receive this.


The Anaphylaxis Campaign have identified that 16-24 year olds are a high risk group when it comes to managing their allergies, and this includes university students.

Download their booklet Preparing for and Managing your Allergies at University – A Guide for University Students

Their top tips for starting university:

  • Remember to carry two adrenaline auto-injectors with you at all times
  • Let the people you are with know where to find your adrenaline and how to use it
  • Register with your local GP or university health centre after moving in
  • Check regularly, through the viewing window on your adrenaline auto-injectors, that the solution is clear and colourless
  • Sign up for the expiry alert service for your brand of auto-injector.

Sexual health

Contraception advice

This service is available to both men and women for confidential advice on all methods of contraception. Free condoms are available for all students during drop-in sessions or from reception.

More info – All East Sexual Health

Emergency contraception

The ‘morning after pill’ can be issued by the Nurse Advisor and is effective if taken up to 72 hours after unprotected sex. You can get this free at your GP or family planning clinic.

A coil (IUCD) can be fitted up to five days after unprotected sex but this requires referral to a family planning clinic.

Pregnancy tests

Please contact your GP or your local pharmacy for advice.

More information via NHS

Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI) self-test kits

Concerned about HIV, Chlamydia or other STIs? The Student Health Service is no longer giving out STI self-test kits. However, you can order a free STI test at home kit or book an appointment at a clinic through the All East NHS service.

Stop smoking

NHS Smoking Helpline - 0800 169 0169.

Travel health

You can check which vaccinations you need for your specific travel destination online.


Students with a disability or significant medical problem are encouraged to register with the Disability Service.

The Disability Coordinators within City's Disability Service is able to offer advice and guidance on all aspects of disability. It is important that you register with the service if you have been diagnosed with a long term health condition.

Student Health and Wellbeing

Also located in Level 1 of Drysdale Building, this is a free, confidential service for students who want to talk to a counselling professional.

Find out more about Health and Wellbeing at City

First Aid and Local Walk-in facilities

Emergency First Aid Assistance and Security - 24 Hours

Main Campus and outer building - ext. 3333

Bunhill Row (Bayes Business School) - ext. 8600

Defibrillator locations

An Automated External Defibrillator (AED) or defibrillator is a life saving device that can help save the life of someone experiencing a sudden cardiac arrest. They are easy to use with clear step-by-step instructions so anyone can use them, from a bystander to a trained professional.

University Building; Security Office – Northampton Square 0207 040 8047

University Building; Main Entrance Reception Desk - Northampton Square 0207 040 3356

Drysdale Building; Occupational Health Reception room E107 - 0207 040 4197 or 5999

Bayes Bunhill Row; Main Reception/security 0207 040 8600

Myddelton Street; Main Reception - ground floor 0207 040 3356

Rhind Building; Main Reception/entrance 0207 040 3174

CitySport; Main Reception/entrance 0207 040 5656

Finsbury Square; Main Reception/entrance 0207 040 8047

Walk-in services

If you have hurt yourself away from City and need medical advice please find an NHS service near to you.