Remote Working Guidance
Accessing IT Services Remotely
As the majority of the University campus has closed due to Covid-19, the Information Technology department is now offering our support remotely. We've also put together some guidance on programmes and software you can use to study remotely.
You can install and use Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Team and OneNote) on your personal device in three quick steps:
1. Visit https://www.office.com
2. Log in with your email address and password
3. Select ‘Install Office Apps’
If you currently have your files stored on your personal computer we would recommend moving these over to your OneDrive, City’s online file service. This will mean you can access your files on any device at any time.
- Access OneDrive: navigate to office.com> login using your City email address and password > select OneDrive from the main menu
- Add Files: You can upload files to OneDrive by either selecting your files in file explorer and dragging them across onto the screen showing OneDrive. Alternatively, from OneDrive you can select Upload > select the files or folders you wish to upload.
If you are uncomfortable undertaking this process please don’t hesitate to contact the IT Service Desk.
Included in Microsoft Office, all City Students now have access to Teams. Microsoft Teams is a unified communication and collaboration platform that combines chat, video meetings, file storage (including collaboration on files), and application integration. The service is part of the Office 365 suite available to all students.
Students can use this online via a web browser and can also download Teams to their device. Please see the following guidance for those looking to use the system for the first time.
Microsoft Office Support
If you have a question about Teams, OneDrive or Office 365 more generally, join our Community Support on Teams, open to all staff and students to see how we can help.
We offer access to a large variety of software applications through our AppsAnywhere service. This also enables access to some applications remotely off-campus.
For further information see studenthub.city.ac.uk/information-technology/appsanywhere.
Self Service Password Reset
You must register for ‘Self-Service Password Reset’
Setting up your self-service account is a one-time process and allows you to access Office 365 and reset your password (should you forget it) without contacting the IT Service Desk.
- Visit pwdreg.city.ac.uk
- Login with your username (e.g abcd123) and password.
- Setup additional security verification methods of your choice, either:
- A mobile phone number – you will be sent a text should you reset your password.
- Security questions – you will be asked to answer three security questions should you reset your password
For further information see our studenthub page here.
For information on research tools please see our guidance page.
Please visit our IT service pages on the StudentHub for further information. On these pages you will find a list of software you can access remotely as well as advice on resetting your password from home.
We would like to encourage you to use our Find and Answer knowledge base, for answers to frequently asked questions as well as self-help guides.
IT Service Desk Telephone Hours
The IT Service Desk can be contacted on +44 (0) 207 040 8181 and will be available seven days a week from 8:00 am until midnight. You can also get support online by visiting http://www.city.ac.uk/itservicedesk