City has published updated advice for its students and staff on the outbreak of the coronavirus (COVID-19).

Latest information for students and staff

Last updated: 23 Jun 2020 5:42pm

All new and returning students of City, University of London are required to register for their course each year.

Registration for new students

Registration is the official process to enrol as a student on your chosen course, and consists of two stages and both must be completed:

Stage One: online registration

All new and returning students of City, University of London are required to register online. Once you have an unconditional offer of a place on a course and the admissions staff for your course have received and logged your firm acceptance of that offer, you will be sent an email with a unique link to your registration homepage from where you can start the process of registering as a student.

During the online part of registration you will be asked to:

  • Confirm your personal details, such as name and date of birth
  • Confirm your course details
  • Update your contact details
  • Accept to abide by City's Ordinances and Regulations
  • Pay your tuition fees

You will also need activate your IT account which will then allow you access to all of City's online services including the library, Moodle and your City email.

Activate you IT account and set up your login credentials.

After you have completed the online part of registration you will then be required to register in person in order for us to verify your nationality and identity, and also ensure that you are eligible to study in the UK by reviewing any visas you may have.

Please note: you will not be able to register online for your course until you have received an email from the Registration team inviting you to do so.

You must complete online registration before coming to City for us to verify your identity and complete your registration, or to attend any induction events. The induction period will be exceptionally busy and if you have completed this process before you arrive, you will have a much smoother and quicker experience.

Stage Two: verification of your identity, eligibility to study and issuing your City ID card

Once you have completed online registration you will need to attend a session at City where we will verify your identity and nationality before you can be fully registered as a student of City, University of London. You must complete online registration before you can complete you registration in person.

What do you need to bring?

  • Registration Confirmation. Once you have completed online registration, you will receive an email confirming this. Save this to your phone or tablet. You can also print this if you like. You will need to present this to gain access to an ID verification session
  • An original document to confirm your identity - You should bring either your passport or European Union Identity Card. If you do not hold either of these documents or they expired more than three months ago, please see this list of other acceptable documents.
  • Original copy of visa and/or Biometric Residence Card or letter from Home Office confirming your visa application* if you are a Non-EEA national.

*If your visa application is pending with the Home Office, please bring the evidence that you have submitted an immigration application, such as a Home Office confirmation letter, evidence of any previous immigration permission and any other important information to confirm your eligibility to study in the UK. Please note that we do not accept solicitors’ letters on their own.

What happens during these sessions?

We will check your registration certificate and confirm your identity, nationality and your eligibility to study in the UK for the duration of your course. If you are a Non-EEA student and require a Tier 4 or other visa, City is required to retain a copy of your passport and visa (vignette and or Biometric Residence Permit) in order to confirm your eligibility to study in the UK. Once we have confirmed your identity we will issue you with an ID card and you will be a fully enrolled student at City, University of London.

What happens if you don't attend one of these sessions?

If you do not complete your registration, both online and the ID verification, within 3 weeks of the start of the course, your IT access will be withdrawn and you will be de-registered from City. If you think you may be late and need more time, please contact the Course Officer for your course within your School or Department.

If you have any questions regarding registration, please email the Registration team.

When do these ID verification sessions take place?

During the main registration and induction period at the start of the academic year in September, each course is allocated a specific slot when students from that course will complete their registration, and the times for your course are included in your induction timetable.

For courses that start outside of the main September induction period, all of your registration arrangements will be scheduled for you, and your Course Officer will let you know what those arrangements are.

Completing this process confirms your membership with City, and your City ID card enables you to gain access to building across the campus, and facilities such as the Library, computing and IT facilities.

Students who do not complete registration are deemed not to be students and are not permitted to continue on their course, so please read carefully the following pages to ensure that you meet all of your registration obligations:

  • Stage One: online registration (online)
  • Stage Two: Identity documents verification and ID card issuing (in person)

Returning students are required to register at the start of each academic year, and further details can be found here (re-registration)

Re-registration for returning students

All returning students of City, University of London are required to re-register each year. As you pass from one academic stage to the next, you will be invited to register again for the subsequent stage of your course. You’ll receive an email telling you when you are required to register, but you will also see your registration status on your e:Vision homepage and will can register as soon as you see the status change to ‘incomplete’.

In addition to registering online students who require a visa to study in the UK are obliged to have their passport and visa documents checked and re-verified each year. This is a legal requirement in order to ensure that we meet our Home Office obligations. Details of this process and who is and who is not required to complete it can be found below.

Re-registration: verification of passports and visa documents

Who and why?

Returning students who are non-UK and non-EU nationals, even those with indefinite leave to remain, are required each year to bring their passports and visa documents into City so that we can verify their validity. We do this because the Home Office requires that we regularly check that all of our students in these categories have valid permission to study at City.

When and where?

This part of registration is compulsory so please ensure you do this as soon as you can. During the first week of term (23rd- 27th September 2019) students from non-UK and non-EU countries should take their passports and visa documents to the City 125 Suite on the third floor of the Innovation Centre. If for whatever reason you miss this registration week, the following week (commencing 30th September) you can complete your registration in the Student Centre.

What do you need to bring?

  • Your passport
  • Your visa or Biometric Residence Card or letter from Home Office confirming a visa application. All documents must be originals.

What will happen?

We will check your passport and visa details are up-to-date and correct, and verify that we have checked these in-person.

What happens if I don’t complete re-registration?

If you do not re-register within three weeks of the start of the course, your IT access will be withdrawn and you may be de-registered from City.

If you think you may be late and need to arrange for late In-Person Re-Registration, please contact your School Office.

Transferring from another institution?

If you are a student transferring from another institution please email us so we can update your details on the Student Loans Company portal for loans, grants and allowances.