City has published updated advice for its students and staff on the outbreak of the coronavirus (COVID-19).

Latest information for students and staff

Last updated: 27 Oct 2021 9:37am

Degree certificates

Degree certificates will usually be presented to you at your graduation ceremony but you can also obtain replacements and certified copies if required.

Degree certificates during the coronavirus pandemic

For those of you who graduated in July 2020, January 2021 or July 2021, you will have been asked for an up-to-date address for your certificate to be posted to you. When you are then invited to a future ceremony, you will not receive a certificate on stage as you should already have one.

If you did not receive a certificate, please complete our online form and we will process your request and provide your certificate.

Please note that if you have already received a certificate in the past and are seeking a replacement copy or are due to receive your certificate at a future graduation ceremony then we will not be able to process this request. Please see below for further details.

Degree certificate for the ceremonies 17th to 19th January 2022

Your degree certificate will be presented to you at your graduation ceremony, provided that you have replied to your graduation invitation by the advertised deadline, and you do not owe the City, University of London any money.

If you are unable to attend your graduation ceremony, your certificate will be posted to you, provided that you have replied to the graduation invitation and given us an address to which your certificate can be sent.

If you do not reply to the graduation invitation, your certificate will not be posted to you, but will be held in the Registry until such time as you contact the Registry and ask for your certificate to be printed and posted on.

Replacement Certificates

We do not keep copies of certificates, but if you do need a Replacement Certificate we can produce one for you.

Please note that only one hard copy of your certificate can be in existence at any one time, and a replacement will only be issued in the event that the original certificate has been lost, stolen or destroyed.

Order a Replacement Certificate on our e-store

Please note that a charge of £40 applies for a Replacement Certificate.

We aim to post Replacement Certificates within 10 working days of receipt of your request. You should note that this certificate is not a transcript; if you need a transcript, you should contact your School Office; please note that historical requests for transcripts prior to 2004 may take up to two months to process.

Please note that if you are requesting a certificate for a module you completed as part of your studies at the School of Health Sciences, you should contact your department.

Changes to Degree Certificates following City joining the University of London

On the 1st September 2016, City University joined the University of London and is now known as City, University of London.

Degree certificates must show the name of the institution at the time that the degree was awarded, however, so if you were awarded prior to that date then you cannot request a replacement degree certificate showing the new name.

Only students awarded on or after the 1st September 2016 can be a given a degree certificate with the name 'City, University of London'.

Please note that the award date refers to when your degree was officially agreed and conferred, not the date of your graduation ceremony or any other date.

For information purposes we have provided a letter that explains the change of name.

Certified photocopies of certificates

We can authenticate photocopies of certificates for you.

Please scan and email your original certificate to us in registry and we will stamp it to confirm that it is a true copy of an original document, and sign it on behalf of the Academic Registrar.

There is no charge for this service.

Alternatively please send a photocopy of your certificate (not the original), with a covering letter, to The Registry, City, University of London, Northampton Square, London, EC1V 0HB.

Third party degree verification

City, University of London has partnered with the Higher Education Degree Datacheck (Hedd) online verification service for all 3rd party degree verification requests for student and alumni verifications.

The online candidate verification service allows registered enquirers to input data provided by applicants (name, date of birth, institution, year of graduation, qualification classification etc).

The system can only be used by 3rd parties.

Students can receive a letter confirming their student status via the Student Hub.

How to register

To make an enquiry you need to register on the Hedd website. Select ‘City, University of London’ from the list of UK higher education institutions and choose the option to 'verify a degree award'.

There is a charge of £12 per enquiry.

You will also be required to upload a signed consent form. Please ask the student/graduate to include their student number if they can as this will speed up the response time.

If you require further assistance, please email Hedd.

Making an enquiry

You’ll need the individual’s name, date of birth, course and qualification. For graduates you'll also need their year of graduation and degree result.

We recommend that you ask to see the degree certificate if there is one, and use that as the basis of your verification enquiry, or ask individuals to give you their data as they believe it’s recorded in the student records system.

Please ensure the correct information is supplied so your request can be processed quickly.

Help with third party degree verification

If you have any problems or queries, please email Hedd.