This City Girl Can
During these unprecedented times, with our City community spread far and wide, we would love our City female network to come together and get involved in our first virtual #ThisCITYGirlCan week.
Whether you are a new or returning City student, alumni or staff, you can enter our #ThisCityGirlCan challenge to win a free day gym pass and find out how you can keep active from home.
This Girl Can
1st - 5th February 2021
Each year, City takes part in the Sport England national #ThisGirlCan campaign, encouraging females to become more active in their daily lives.
This usually takes place as a week of activities for our female students to try out a new sport or activity. In the past years, we’ve held various give-it-a-go sessions, from learning to lift weights, rugby, netball, cheerleading, meditation and even neon hula hoop, to name a few.
This Girl Can is for everyone, whatever your experience. It’s a brilliant way to keep healthy and feel good. The benefits of exercise for mental health are well documented, so that’s another great reason to get active.
This year, while we are all living under varying restrictions and are unable to run activities in person, we have put together some resources to help you keep active at home. Whether you choose keepy uppies in your back garden, a dog walk, meditation, or even yoga in your living room – it all counts.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Participate in the daily CitySport online classes, from yoga and meditation to HIIT classes and salsa – see the complete online class timetable here
- Walk or cycle to a local landmark
- Start the Couch to 5K programme
- Try a beginners HIIT class at home
- Do the 30 day squat challenge.
If you are completely new to exercise and don’t know where to start, CitySport have many great beginner classes on their Youtube channel.
CitySport will also be holding a special This Girl Can Instagram live class on the final day. Join us on Friday 5th February at 12.30pm on the CitySport Instagram page @Citysportec1, where Gemma will guide us through a Pilates class suitable for all levels.
Show us where you keep active locally to win a free day gym pass.
To join the challenge, take a selfie or a video of yourself taking part in your daily activity. Post your picture on Instagram letting us know where you are in the world and tag #ThisCITYGirlCan, #ThisGirlCan and @cityuniversityoflondonsport.
Deadline: 5th February 2021
At the end of the challenge, we will mark where in the world our female community is keeping active, so you can get inspired and feel part of the team.
Let’s get active together and show what this City girl can do.
Terms and conditions
- You must be a City, University of London student, alumni or staff to enter this competition
- To be eligible to win the free day gym pass, you must tag #ThisCITYGirlCan, #ThisGirlCan and @cityuniversityoflondonsport in your image on Instagram
- You can tag us in multiple images throughout the week, however only one gym pass can be redeemed per person
- You confirm that you own the copyright to the submitted image and will provide City, University of London a royalty free, irrevocable and perpetual license to use the image for marketing and promotional purposes
- You agree for the image to be reposted on social media and other forms of public marketing by City, University of London and its affiliates including Sports England
- To redeem your gym pass, you must email email@example.com
- Your day gym pass can be redeemed from the date CitySport is able to reopen pending government restrictions
- Your gym pass must be used before 31st December 2021
- You must register as a Pay as You Go member on Sport and Leisure Services Online Memberships (citysport.org.uk) before using the free gym pass
- You must provide photo ID upon using the facilities
- The gym pass cannot be redeemed for monetary value
- The gym pass must be used by competition entrant and cannot be used by a third party.