Assessment, Progression and Awards Information 2020/21

Please see below for important information about your assessment results, details of the timescales if you want to submit a claim for undisclosed extenuating circumstances or make an appeal, and the support available to you.

You can download the information on this page in PDF format here.

Extenuating Circumstances (ECs)

City recognises the impact the on-going pandemic has had on your studies. We are therefore continuing to take a sympathetic approach to Extenuating Circumstances (EC) claims for the remainder of the 2020/21 academic year.

The University, together with the Students’ Union, have been working on ways of mitigating the impact of Covid-19 on your studies. The deadline for ECs has been extended in order to provide all students with a fair opportunity to submit a claim for consideration.

Upon receipt of your results email, an additional 7 calendar days to complete an EC claim for consideration, if you feel your results have been impacted by undeclared ECs, has been agreed*

*Please note: Programmes with Professional Body Regulations, programmes with non- standard entry points and those with exceptions may be exempt from the above extension to the ECs deadline.

If the above applied to you, the deadline for completing your EC claim will have been communicated to you directly by your School.

Please note:

  1. Once the 7-day deadline has passed any undeclared ECs will need to be submitted via the Appeals process instead. Information on Appeals can found in the Appeals section of this guidance
  2. If your ECs are accepted and you choose to take up the offer of an additional attempt, any mark received for your previous affected attempt will be permanently disregarded. If you decide not to take up the offer of an additional attempt, the mark received for your previous attempt will stand.
  3. If you submit ECs after you receive your results letter, and your ECs are accepted, we will let you know when the next opportunity to attempt the assessment will
    be. This will depend on the type of assessment and when it is possible to offer it and may be during the next academic year. If the next opportunity to attempt the assessment is in the next academic year, this may delay
    • your progression to the next stage of your programme if you are a continuing student
    • completion of your programme and Graduation if you are a final year student or postgraduate student

You can find full details regarding ECs and how to make a claim on the Student Hub.

I don’t understand my results letter, what should I do?

First, please check the information on this guidance note which may provide the details you need.

If you still need help understanding your results letter or would like more information on how your marks were allocated, you should contact your Course Office.

What do I need to do to pass this stage of my Programme?

Your Programme Specification includes details of the pass requirements for your programme. You can find your Programme Handbook on Moodle.

If you have not achieved enough credit to pass your Programme Stage, details of what you need to do next will be published in your results letter.

This year, working with the Students’ Union, the University developed some measures to mitigate the impact of Covid-19 on your studies. These measures are designed to support you while protecting the value of your final qualification.

There are a number of different parts to the measures and each part recognises the different ways in which your performance may have been impacted as a result of the pandemic. Full details on these mitigations can be found on the Student Hub: Mitigating the Impacts of Covid- 19 on your Studies in 2020/21.

Please Note: In order for these actions to be taken, any professional body requirements (where relevant) and the learning outcomes for your programme must be satisfied.

If you have any questions about the updated programme requirements, please contact your Course Office.

What is a Resit?

A resit is a second attempt at an initial failed assessment without having to repeat the original period of teaching and learning.

If you are being given an opportunity to resit an assessment, the marks for those resits will be capped at 40% for undergraduate modules, or at 50% for postgraduate modules.

However, if the Assessment Board has given you the opportunity to resit any assessment(s) as ‘attempt 1’, this means that an Extenuating Circumstances Panel has agreed that you will receive your full marks for those assessments.

You can find FAQs regarding Resits on the Student Hub: Exam FAQs.

Were the ‘Mitigations’ applied to my results?

The ‘Mitigations’ were applied, where applicable and where we are not constrained by Professional Body requirements, to 2020/21 assessments.

City’s Student Hub page: Mitigating the Impacts of Covid-19 on your Studies in 2020/21 explains the University’s approach to supporting students with the transition to your next Programme Stage.

Following your assessment and exams, your marks will have been agreed by an Assessment Board.

This year Assessment Boards have taken the mitigations into account, where we are not constrained by Professional Body requirements, to ensure your marks aren’t detrimentally affected.

The Assessment Boards are held by each School. Their role is to consider and agree marks, taking the recommendations of all relevant panels into account (this includes Interim Panel outcomes, Academic Misconduct Panels, Fitness to Practise Panels and other advisory panels as applicable) and to ensure Assessment Regulations and Mitigations are applied consistently and fairly for all students,

Please note that modules failed due to academic misconduct cannot be compensated or form part of the credits discounted from the 2020/21 year’s average.

The Assessment Boards have the final say on marks, aside from those already reviewed by a Professional, Statutory or Regulatory Body (PSRB), which the Board will make no changes to.

Please note that all marks released to you prior to Assessment Boards are provisional. Your actual marks will be agreed by the Assessment Board who verify, sign-off and release agreed results to your School. After the Assessment Board, your School will send your agreed and verified results on to you.

What happens if I did not attempt an assessment?

If you were not able to participate in an assessment component and you have not submitted an Extenuating Circumstances form, then that component will be considered to be a fail and no mark or credit will be awarded.

What happens if I did not attempt an assessment?

If you were not able to participate in an assessment component and you have not submitted an Extenuating Circumstances form, then that component will be considered to be a fail and no mark or credit will be awarded.

What does ‘trailing of credit’ mean?

Students who have valid ECs may be permitted to trail up to 15 credits (or 20 credits if a Programme Regulation has already been approved for specific programmes). Please see the Extenuating Circumstances section for how to submit a claim.

Students who do not have valid ECs will not be permitted to trail credit into the next academic year. It is therefore important that you submit an EC form as these will be used to identify your support needs.

June 2021: Version 1

Where students trail credits, they will be provided with full details of any additional costs (if relevant) they would incur.

School of Health and Psychological Sciences students - Please note that due to PSRB requirements and clinical activities within SHPS programmes, affected students/cohorts of students may need substantial flexibility and can trail up to 45 assessment credits. SHPS students who fall into the above category are exempt from the requirement to submit an EC form.

Where can I find my transcript?

An official transcript is a statement of your academic performance and progress on your programme of study at City, University of London. It confirms that you are or were a registered student at City.

You can view a copy of your transcript by logging into evision. Your transcript shows a detailed breakdown of the marks and credit you have achieved so far.

Abbreviations in the Marks column of your transcript

  • ‘PA’ means Pass.
  • ‘LO’ means that you have met the learning outcomes for that assessment component for the Programme Stage.
  • ‘PM’ means that you passed the module following academic misconduct.

Find out more about transcripts and who to contact in your School.

I don’t think my marks have been calculated correctly. What can I do?

If you would like to apply for an accuracy check of any of your marks from this academic year, please contact your Course Office. Clerical checks do not involve remarking; instead your assessment marks would be recounted to ensure they have been calculated correctly. Your request must be submitted within 28 days of the notification of your results.

Detailed information can be found in City’s Senate Regulation 19: Assessment Regulations (see Appendix 4).

How do Assessment Boards investigate issues with assessments or marking?

Assessment Boards are held by each School as soon as possible after the completion of the final assessment for each Programme for that academic year. Their primary purpose is to ensure the Assessment Regulations are applied consistently and fairly. Following the Assessment Boards the agreed results are verified, signed-off and released.

June 2021: Version 1


appropriate Assessment Boards may also have the power to:

  • request the investigation of assessment or exam irregularities
  • request the investigation of conflicting grades of an individual student or cohort of students
  • moderate grades where necessary
  • request the investigation of any suspected academic misconduct
  • request the re-sit of assessments or exams with material irregularities* or those which are suspected to have been compromised
  • review the marks for any assessment which has been proven to be compromised or where material irregularities have been identified. This can result in the Assessment Board: o scalingmarksup
    o scalingmarksdown
    o removingtheassessmentfromcalculations * A material irregularity is an error made by the University, or some other issue that has been identified with the conduct of the assessment, that has affected the results. Whatever action the Board takes will be proportional to the material irregularity or offence detected in order to ensure the academic integrity and value of all City awards. For help and advice on academic integrity please see available resources and services here: Academic Integrity & Misconduct Policy and Guidance

City Students’ Union will also be running their Study Well campaign, where they work with University departments to provide information and activities to support your academic experience and overall wellbeing. You can find further information about this on the SU’s website.

The Academic Learning Support Team has put together lots of helpful tips and information for studying online, which you can find here. You can also find further information about study skills and revision on their Student Hub page.

Library Services have created some guidance for citing and referencing your work correctly, which you can access via their website.

I would like to appeal the decision of the Assessment Board. How can I do this?

If you would like to request a review of a decision made by the Assessment Board (known as an appeal), you must make it within 28 days of the release of your current academic year results, following the Assessment Board.

Please note that appeals are only considered on permissible grounds, which are set out in Senate Regulations 20 – 21b on student appeals.

Before you appeal, please note that eligible students may be entitled to an additional attempt at assessments. Please check the relevant section in this guidance to see whether this could apply to you.

You can find details on how to appeal and further information on the Student Hub.

Can I repeat this Academic Year?

In view of the ongoing pandemic in 2020/21 and the potential impact on students, the University recognises that it may be in a student’s interest to repeat the year.

A full repeat year may be permitted where a student has approved Extenuating Circumstances affecting multiple assessments or if other criteria in Senate Regulations 19 are met. Please see the Extenuating Circumstances section for how to submit a claim.

A full repeat year may also be permitted where the student has been suspended in accordance with the Fitness to Study Regulation (subject to any PSRB requirements where applicable).

Where Assessment Boards permit an eligible student to repeat a Programme Stage in the following academic year, the student will be informed and provided with full details of any additional fees and costs they would incur, if they choose to take up that option.

What happens if I am near my maximum period of registration?

Each Programme is subject to a maximum period of registration as set out in Senate Regulations 19.

The Contingency Regulations allow Assessment Boards to grant an additional year of registration for all students registered for study in 2020/21, where requested.

This is to mitigate the impact of the extraordinary circumstances and on-going pandemic during 2020/21.

What does ‘partially repeating with attendance’ mean?

Partially repeating the programme stage with attendance allows you to return in the next academic year to attend classes and attempt your failed assessments again.

If I am partially repeating, do I need to pay fees?

If you are partially repeating, you will only be charged for the modules you are repeating. Fees are based on module credits – you can find an example below:

Representative example

We start by calculating how much of your year you will be repeating. In this example, let’s assume the total number of credits for the year is 120. You are repeating one 15 credit module and one 30 credit module. With this, we can work out how much of the year you are repeating:

  • (15 + 30) / 120 = 37.5%
    This is the sum of credits being repeated / total credits = % of year being repeated

We use this percentage to calculate the exact amount you are due, ensuring you are not charged for modules you passed.

In this example, let’s assume your course fee for the new academic year is £9250. Note that fees the calculation is based on the new academic year fee, which may be slightly higher than last year to account for inflation. To work out how much you need to pay, we use the percentage calculated above:

  • £9250 x 37.5% = £3468.75
    This is the base fee for new academic year x % of full course fee = Total fees due

Can I attend a Graduation Ceremony this year?

As a result of the evolving situation regarding the Covid-19 pandemic, we regret to confirm that the July 2021 Graduation ceremonies at the Barbican Centre have been postponed.. We understand this news will be disappointing but we can assure you that this difficult decision has not been taken lightly. Our priority is the health and wellbeing of our students, their guests and our staff.

To celebrate the achievements of students who would have been eligible to attend the July We will continue to contact these students by email in the coming months with further

information. Please see the Graduation Student Hub page for further information.

We would like to reassure our students that the above decision does not impact on the awarding of your degree. Provided you meet the requirements of your course, your degree will be conferred by Senate and you will receive your degree certificate by post.

I am a final year student appealing my results. Can I still attend Graduation?

Students whose results mean they are eligible for Graduation but wish to appeal the Assessment Board’s decision are usually invited to a later ceremony provided the outcome of their appeal results in a successful award. However, please note that due to Covid-19, there are no in-person Graduation ceremonies during Summer 2021.

Please see our Student Hub Graduation Webpage for further details. If you are considering making an appeal, you should refer to the Graduation Terms and Conditions for further information (search: Graduation ceremony terms and conditions on City’s website).

We will work towards issuing a response to you within the normal timeframe (within 28 days).

I want to make an appeal. Where can I get more advice?

The Union Advice Team in the Students’ Union can provide advice for students considering making an appeal. If you have been withdrawn from your studies, they can also provide information on other options that may be available.

Where can I get further support?

Here at City, there are lots of services available to support you throughout your studies. If there’s anything which is worrying you or disrupting your normal work, study or personal life, you can contact the relevant service who can provide help. Some of the services you may want to speak to are:

If you would like to learn more about what help and support City offers, refer to the Help and Support section of the Student Hub.

Additionally you can also access key student-facing Regulations, Policies and Guidance documents which will help support you in a range of situations and provide you with details regarding other City processes via the Student Policies and Regulations Webpage.

You can find further Examination information here.