Student Parents and Carers

City is committed to supporting student parents, carers and pregnant students throughout the course of their studies with us.

Maternity, Paternity, Adoption and Student Parent guidance

City has guidance in place to ensure that we are providing effective support to students who are expecting, adopting, or who are parents or have caring responsibilities.

This guidance includes:

  • Details of the support options available to students
  • Advice for staff to whom you may disclose your status as a parent, carer or someone who is expecting
  • Best practice accommodations for exams and assessments, interrupting your studies and supporting international students who may have specific issues relating to their visas
  • Information on support and processes within City for the unfortunate event of miscarriage, still birth or neonatal death.

View the Maternity, Paternity, Adoption and Student Parent Guidance

For any further questions or advice relating to Student Parents and Carers, or to make recommendations for additional support which could be developed at City, email Jack Kilker, Student Equality and Diversity Officer, or call 020 7040 0475.

On-campus facilities

There is a rest room available in the Health Centre which can be accessed to express breast milk. The facility includes a lockable fridge where breast milk can be stored up until 16:56 each day, and wash facilities.

External facilities

Islington Council’s Childcare and early education site can help students find registered childcare and early education providers in Islington. They can also help with paying for childcare.


  • Students can contact the Student Funding Team at for financial queries. Please note that they have a two working day turnaround on responses.
  • The NUS page covers information on Statutory Maternity Pay, Maternity Allowance, Ordinary Statutory Paternity and Statutory Adoption Pay for new parents.
  • If you’re responsible for a child under 16 years old (or under 20 in full-time education or training approved by the government) you may be able to claim Child Benefit from the government.  You get a weekly amount for each child.  If you’re under 20 years old and in full-time education, someone (e.g. your parent) may be able to claim Child Benefit for you. Child Claim Benefit


There is no accommodation for couples or families at City - all rooms are for single occupancy only. However, there are some private student housing providers who provide accommodation in London for couples and families. These have not been viewed or formally approved by City, University of London and you would need to contact these housing providers directly for more information. Our extensive online guide to private accommodation can help you get started with your search.