City has published updated advice for its students and staff on the outbreak of the coronavirus (COVID-19).

Latest information for students and staff

Last updated: 18 Sep 2020 9:27am

Working together to keep our City community safe

City has put safety measures in place to gradually welcome our students and staff back to campus.

While the majority of teaching will be online during the first term, please make sure you read the new safety measures City is implementing to help ensure social-distancing and hygiene guidelines are followed. All members of City’s community will need to work together to keep each other safe when on campus.

If you are returning to campus, you will see new signage throughout the University detailing the safety measures that we have put in place – as well as the key actions that we’re asking all students, staff and visitors to adopt in order to keep themselves and each other safe.

What we need you to do

To help keep each other safe, the following actions will be displayed across all plasma screens on campus, as well as on staff screensavers and in other communications.

What we are doing

What we need you to do

Making it possible to study and work online when not on campus

If you are feeling unwell, stay at home

Circulating fresh air where possible

Wear a face covering on campus unless you are exempt

Providing hand sanitisation stations across campus

Wash or sanitise your hands regularly

Installing clear signage and one-way systems to support social distancing

Stay alert and maintain social distancing

Providing regular updates on safety measures and guidelines to keep you safe

Stay in touch with your tutor or class, and keep up to date with City communications

2020/21 academic year

We will be delivering the majority of teaching online, along with some small group activities in person. On courses where more time on-campus is needed to complete practical work due to PSRB requirements, we will arrange for specialist facilities such as clinical skills and engineering labs to be used safely, in a socially distanced way. We remain committed to deliver your education and our staff have been working together to develop online teaching in new engaging and innovative ways.

You can find further information, including term dates, in our student statements.

Looking after your own health

Check latest advice

You can find the latest information about coronavirus (COVID-19), including symptoms, social distancing guidance and track and trace on the NHS coronavirus website.

What to do if you have symptoms

If you have any of the main symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19), get a test as soon as possible and stay at home until you get the result.

The main symptoms are:

  • a high temperature
  • a new, continuous cough
  • a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste

Use the NHS 111 online coronavirus service if:

  • you're worried about your symptoms
  • you're not sure what to do

Call 111 if you cannot get help online. Do not go to places like a GP surgery, hospital or pharmacy.

How to avoid catching or spreading coronavirus

In line with public health advice, we ask you follow these hygiene practices to protect your own health and that of others:


  • try to stay at least 2 metres (3 steps) away from anyone you do not live with (or anyone not in your support bubble)
  • wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds
  • use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
  • wash your hands as soon as you get home
  • cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
  • put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterwards


  • Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean

Frequently asked questions

How is the University coordinating its response to the coronavirus outbreak?

The University is following an established action plan to coordinate our response. We are also following advice from Government, Public Health England and Universities UK to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our community of students, staff and visitors.

In line with Government advice, the University closed most of its buildings and ended face to face teaching on Friday 20th March and moved to teaching and support for students online.

What would happen if there was a confirmed case?

In the event that a student or a member of staff at City is confirmed to have contracted coronavirus, we will work with local emergency services and public health authorities to ensure that the individual receives the best care. We will continue to provide information and guidance to our students and staff via our web pages, our social media accounts, and via email.

Do I need to wear a face covering on campus?

Yes - if you are on campus, you should wear a face covering, unless you are exempt.

If you have a diagnosed condition or personal circumstances which mean you have been advised that you are unable to put on, wear or remove a face covering, you should let us know by completing this form and wearing a navy blue lanyard and exemption card. We will then provide you with the lanyard and card, which you can collect on campus.

You can find further advice on how to wear a face covering correctly and how to make your own, on the Student Hub.

Is City's Dubai Centre open?

In accordance with a directive issued by the Ministry of Higher Education UAE to all educational institutions, City’s Dubai Centre is closed is closed until further notice.

The move has been taken as a precautionary public health measure and to ensure the safety and wellbeing of students, staff and visitors. The Centre’s staff are working remotely during this period.

For information about the Centre’s programmes, please email

For all other enquiries, please email and your query will be directed to the most relevant person.

Is the Library open?

Library Services are now open, but with some changes. Limited numbers of study desks and computer desks are available in the Northampton Square Library but must be booked ahead.

We are also operating a Click & Collect service to enable you to borrow books - these must be booked ahead and we will let you know when they are ready for collection.

For up-to-date information on all our current services please take a look at our Return to Campus Library Guide.

I'm a prospective student - where can I find more information?

You can find information and guidance for prospective students on our website.

Where can I find additional advice about the pandemic?

We will continue to keep this web page updated and if there are any significant changes, we will be in touch via email.

You can find further advice and updates on these websites:

If you have any specific concerns not covered here you can email us and your query will be directed to the most relevant person.

Guidance is also available for students, staff and managers on how to deal with domestic violence and abuse during the COVID-19 ‘lock-down’.


Do I have to come in for lectures and other learning scheduled activities?

We will be delivering the majority of teaching online, along with some small group activities in person. On courses where more time on-campus is needed to complete practical work due to PSRB requirements, we will arrange for specialist facilities such as clinical skills and engineering labs to be used safely, in a socially distanced way.

Your School will let you know whether you have any in-person sessions on campus which you need to attend, and you can find information about your classes on your timetable.

You can find advice for studying online, including using Microsoft Teams and Zoom on the Academic Skills page.

Where can I find advice for studying online?

The Academic Learning Success Team has put together lots of helpful guidance for moving to studying online, which you can access here.

How will the move from face-to-face teaching to online instruction proceed?

We expect differences across modules and programs in whether and how they deliver material: some lecturers will teach in an empty lecture theatre so that they are lecture captured in the normal way; others will record their lectures using other software tools. Please bear with us over this transition phase.

I'm a Cass student - does the decision to cease face-to-face teaching apply across all of our degrees?

Yes, the decision to suspend face-to-face teaching applies across all degrees. The specific details on how it will be replaced by online resources varies across programs.

You can find further information on the Cass Moodle pages.

I am a student working or studying abroad, should I return to the UK?

As of Monday 23rd March, The Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) has advised British citizens travelling abroad to return to the UK now, if commercial flights are still available. International travel is becoming very limited as air routes close, land borders close and new restrictions are put in place that prevent flights from leaving. Other countries are issuing similar advice.

On this basis, City strongly advises that you return to the UK or your home country, provided that you are able and it is safe to do so. Please also note the guidance in your host country and limits on travel currently in place around the world. If you decide to remain in your host country, you should continue to monitor the travel advice issued by the FCO or the government advice of your home country. You will also need to comply with any Coronavirus (COVID-19) control measures put in place by your host country.

Your Exchange Coordinators sent our advice and guidance on this which you can find here.

Please keep in contact with your Student Exchange/Placements Coordinator, Work-Based Learning Adviser, or Cass Placements team as necessary regarding any updates or changes to your situation.

I’m studying on an apprenticeship programme – what should I do?

We are aware that students on apprenticeship programmes may have questions in relation to the impact of the coronavirus on their study at City, on recording their off the job training and any potential impact on their employment/employer’s needs. This is particularly pertinent to those who work in the healthcare sector.

We are currently working through these issues and will contact apprentices and their employers with guidance as soon as possible. In the meantime, please refer to the guidance and FAQs published by the Department for Education and updated on the 6 April 2020 here.

Will my course continue next term?

Yes – the University remains committed to continuing to deliver your programme in the 2020/21 academic year.

We are currently planning how your programme will be delivered - depending on UK Government guidance, this may involve a range and combination of options, including programme delivery online, returning to campus for certain classes and potentially a slightly later start date to term.

We will continue to update you as our plans develop.

Have there been any changes to the Academic Misconduct process?

The University continues to take academic misconduct very seriously and seeks at all times to rigorously protect its academic standards. The Academic Integrity & Misconduct Policy and Guidance remains in place at this time and the process for investigating cases of academic misconduct has not been changed.

Students are expected to uphold academic integrity and good academic practice at all times by demonstrating behavior that is honest and ethical in all of their academic work. This includes submitting work which is your own and ensuring you reference sources correctly throughout your assessments.

You can find further information about how to avoid academic misconduct and 'contract cheating' in the Student Guide.

I have received a sanction for Academic Misconduct on my assessment but I have an undisclosed Supporting Your Academic Success or Extenuating Circumstances form that relates to that work - what can I do?

Where Academic Misconduct has been confirmed and a sanction applied you may have the right to appeal due to an undisclosed Supporting Your Academic Success or Extenuating Circumstances form. This means that your assessment was affected by circumstances beyond your control. However, at the time, you were unable to inform us of this circumstance via the e:Vision Extenuating Circumstances process (LPC & BPTC students only) or via the Supporting Your Academic Success process (all other students).

In this instance in order to inform us of your undisclosed situation, you would need to appeal the sanction following the Student Appeals Process. You can find full details on the Student Appeals Policy and Guidance here.

Please note that you should still complete the e:Vision Extenuating Circumstances process (LPC & BPTC students only) or the Supporting Your Academic Success process (all other students) in order to inform us of how you may have been impacted or how other assessments will be impacted. For the assessment with Academic Misconduct sanctions, you must follow the Student Appeals Process provided in the link above.

Will there be any refunds of tuition fees due to the impact of Coronavirus?

The decision to suspend face-to-face teaching with effect from 23rd March was taken in light of Government advice to protect the health and wellbeing of staff and students, and was beyond our reasonable control. The University continues to support all learners to achieve their desired learning outcomes, including academically by mitigating the impact of the current situation through arranging suitable alternative teaching, learning and assessment arrangements. These changes have been made to protect health and wellbeing, implement government requirements and to seek to preserve the continuity of teaching, learning and assessment.

In light of the steps we are taking, all of the circumstances and in line with current government advice from the Department for Education, we will not be automatically refunding tuition fees.

However, we understand you may wish to make a complaint on the University’s response and of course entitled to, and you should follow the University’s Complaints Procedure.

Please note that we will be unable to process complaints relating to Covid-19 until after the final assessment boards for your programme.

If you are facing financial hardship please see support available here.

If you have any further queries on this, you may wish to email:

Can I make a complaint about a mark or marks which I believe were affected by Coronavirus?

Assessment Boards which make decisions regarding your marks and overall performance will be aware of the impact Coronavirus has had on the delivery of teaching and assessment in each module. If you still believe that your mark or marks have been impacted, the usual appeals procedure will apply.

Further information on the academic appeals process is available here.

If you have any queries, you may wish to email:


Can I travel outside of the UK?

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) now advises British people against all non-essential travel worldwide. City would recommend you follow this advice and check FCO and the World Health Organisation guidance for up-to-date travel advice.before making any travel arrangements.

What should I do if I have concerns about friends or family who may be affected by the coronavirus?

If you are a student and have concerns about friends or family, you may wish to speak to your personal tutor or your research supervisor if you are a PhD student. You can also contact the Student Centre.

If you are a member of staff, you may wish to speak to your line manager in the first instance.

International students

Can I return home as a result of the coronavirus?

As a result of the evolving situation regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, all face-to-face teaching at City ended by Friday 20th March.

The University continues to provide online resources to replace, where possible, lectures and tutorials, and have sent out updates on assessments for the rest of the academic year.

Schools will be communicating directly with their students and staff to outline their plans for the delivery of each of their programmes.

My Tier 4 visa expires soon, I am self-isolating and/or can’t travel back to my home country due to travel restrictions – where can I get advice?

The UK Government has published guidance on short immigration extensions for individuals who are unable to return to their home countries either because they are self-isolating or because of travel restrictions.

This guidance also includes the latest information for those of you who might have questions around your visa expiry date, switching visa category within the UK, distance learning and working-hour restrictions for student doctors and nurses. If you have concerns about your visa status you should email the Government’s Coronavirus (COVID-19) Immigration Help Centre.

The Home Office has advised that if you’re in the UK and your immigration permission  expires between 24th January and 31st July 2020, you can apply for an extension until 31st July 2020 if you cannot leave the UK because of travel restrictions or self-isolation related to coronavirus (COVID-19), and you were not planning to stay in the UK.

You must update your records with the Coronavirus Immigration Team (CIT) if your visa is expiring and you were not planning to stay in the UK.

The Home Office will respond to your request within five working days.

For further details, please read this Tier 4 guidance document.

I need to make a UK visa application and would normally have to return to my home country to do this, however, I am unable to leave the UK at this time – can I apply from inside the UK instead?

In view of the pandemic (currently up until 31st July 2020) a concession has been introduced to allow you to apply from within the UK to switch to a long-term UK visa that you are otherwise eligible for, if your visa expires on or before the end of July. This includes some visa applications where you would usually need to apply for a visa from your home country.

You’ll need to meet the same visa requirements and pay the in-country application fee.

I am a second year student - will I be required to be in the UK if my class will be taught online in September and will my Tier 4 visa be affected if I stay in my home country?

No, you do not need to be in the UK. You can study on-line remotely in your home country. This will not affect your Tier 4 visa as long as you engage with all your required study on-line.

I’m a student in a sandwich year and need to extend my visa - can I do this?

Please contact the International Student Advice team for further advice as every case is different.

I have applied for a visa extension/BRP replacement but I have not been able to book an appointment to get my biometric details taken. Will this affect my application?

No, services are currently opening up again gradually, which means that appointments are not yet available as usual. However, this has no impact on your application and you should book your appointment to complete the process as soon as possible.

I am a current student and will complete my Degree course in summer 2021 – can I still apply for the new Graduate Route working visa next year even if I study my final year online?

The Home Office have confirmed that current students who have studied part of their courses remotely from outside of the UK as a result of the pandemic will be eligible for this visa ‘if they enter the UK before 6th April 2021 and complete the final semester of their studies in the UK.’