Our services

Discover our four support services available to all City students.

Student Health & Wellbeing Logo

The Student Health and Wellbeing Engagement Service

Your first port of call for Student Health and Wellbeing. If you’re not sure how we can help, or would like to talk to someone about what we can offer, please get in touch.

  • First contact conversations
  • Health and Wellbeing promotional activities
  • Student signposting/ check-in appointments
  • Weekly drop-ins
  • Awareness raising campaigns

Student Disability and Neurodiversity Service

The Student Disability and Neurodiversity Service offers confidential assessment, advice and support for students who experience barriers to learning.

Support focuses on developing strength awareness and uses a wide range of strength-based strategies to help students reach their academic and holistic potential.

Types of support offered may include:

  • Specialist advice on reasonable adjustments including screening and environmental adjustments
  • Support with transitioning into university life
  • Specialist one-to-one study skills sessions
  • Advice on the use of digital tools
  • Ongoing check-in sessions
  • Holistic support including physical fitness and mindfulness sessions.
  • Use of sensory room

If you require support, please book a confidential appointment with a Disability Adviser or Neurodiversity Support Tutor for a chat about how we can best support you. It is best to do this as early as possible so that your support can be put in place.

Student Mental Health Service

While studying at university it is important to know what mental health support and services are available.

Our Student Mental Health Service comprises of experienced, specialist Mental Health Advisers who provide guidance on how to navigate the support within the University and external agencies.

This is a confidential service, built on the principles of creating a supportive environment to maximise your student experience, in line with the Equality Act. We work closely with the University to make this possible.

From our first conversation with you, we can advise on what support is appropriate. This may involve advice on:

  • Specialised Reasonable Adjustments
  • applying for DSA funding
  • guidance on managing your emotional and mental health
  • help and recommendations of contacting relevant, external support services
  • follow-up MHA support appointments specific to your level of need
  • referrals to City’s Counselling Service
  • referrals to mental-health mentoring.

While we are not a Crisis Service, the Student Mental Health Service can advise, aid in referrals and support making contact with intervention services if you have an urgent mental health need.

Student Counselling Service

The Student Counselling Service offers confidential, time-limited specialist counselling to support and help you understand any issues or difficulties that may affect your wellbeing.

Counselling can help identify emotional or psychological difficulties, develop coping strategies and promote wellbeing.

You can talk to a counsellor about anything that is important to you such as:

  • relationship / family difficulties
  • depression / anxiety / stress
  • eating difficulties
  • loss / bereavement
  • procrastination / fear of failure
  • addictions
  • sexual / identity issues
  • suicidal thoughts / self-harm
  • self-esteem and confidence
  • bullying / harassment / abuse

The first appointment is to understand why you would like counselling and decide on the most appropriate therapeutic support available to you such as further sessions, recommending another service etc.

The Service adheres to the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) Ethical Framework and recognises that confidentiality is of paramount importance. However, in some situations a counsellor may need to share relevant information with internal and/or external services to ensure you are being supported as best as possible.

The Service is unable to offer psychiatric assessment, mental health diagnosis or long-term counselling.

The Service cannot provide medication monitoring, prescription service or psychiatric support including home visits and other interventions best dealt with by a GP, the NHS, psychiatric intervention and/or emergency services.

Who we support

Counselling is available to all current UK-based students.

It would be extremely helpful for you to be registered with a UK based GP before you start counselling. If you are not registered, please register as soon as possible by finding your nearest NHS surgery via www.nhs.uk

Please note that we are unable to offer ongoing counselling to students who are not in the UK at the time of their counselling appointment(s).

You can access support and guidance through Togetherall and through your GP.

Additional resources can also be found on additional support services

If you have withdrawn from your course, we are unable offer counselling but you can access counselling support via your GP.