Schengen visa

If you are a non-European Economic Area (EEA) national and want to travel to Europe, you may be required to apply for a Schengen visa before you travel.

Travel within European Union and the EEA with a Schengen visa

The Schengen Visa Scheme allows those wishing to visit certain countries within the EEA (and Switzerland) to travel between these countries using only one visa.

Countries included in the scheme

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • The Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland

How to apply for a Schengen visa

You apply for a Schengen visa on embassies.

  • If you only will visit one country, you should apply to the embassy of that country.
  • If you visit several countries, you should apply to the embassy of whichever country is your 'main destination' - the country in which you plan to spend the most time during your trip.
  • If you visit several countries without having a main destination, you should submit an application to the embassy of the country where you will first enter the Schengen space.

According to which type of visa you need and the country you are applying to, fees, eligibility criteria and documentation required vary. UKCISA provides more detailed guidance on applying for a Schengen visa.

You should check the website of the relevant embassy before making your application.

Applications should be made as early as possible, in case there are any unexpected delays in processing the application.

Documents you must provide

  • Completed application form
    Download the form from the relevant embassy website.
  • Visa fee
    Check the current visa fee and which forms of payment are acceptable before submitting your application
  • Passport
    Original passport or official travel document
  • Photographs
    Recent photograph/s (the exact number required varies between countries)
  • Proof of purpose of the visit
    Invitation letters from friends/conference. Reservations for accommodation or tours may need to be shown.
  • Evidence of current UK immigration permission
    Most Schengen countries insist that your immigration permission to be in the UK should last for at least 3 months after you return from your trip.
  • Evidence of sufficient funds
    You have to show that you can support yourself during your stay. Evidence confirming this can be recent bank statements, and credit card statements showing the current credit limit.
  • Evidence of student status
    You have to obtain a Student Status letter from your School Office or the Student Centre confirming that you are a full-time student.
  • Travel insurance
    You have to show a proof of medical/travel insurance which covers the entire trip.

Contact us

If you would like to speak to the International Student Advice Team, please telephone us on +44 (0)20 7040 7040.

Alternatively, you can contact us via Support@City.