Global Student Leaders Programme
The Global Engagement Student Leaders Programme aims to provide undergraduate students with professional development opportunities that will enhance their employability skills and help them to develop a global mindset.
The Office for Global Engagement is looking for approximately 20 current undergraduate students to be this year’s Global Student Leaders.
Student Leaders will attend two professional development workshops and a termly Global Engagement Forum over the course of the year. In addition, Student Leaders may be asked to support and engage with various projects and events throughout the year by the Office for Global Engagement and other offices/departments at City.
Role of Student Leaders
Student Leaders will advise and assist staff from the Office for Global Engagement and across the University to support and engage with internationalisation activities. Activities will include a range of internationalisation projects throughout the year. In particular, Student Leaders will give feedback, share ideas and contribute to the Global Engagement Forum.
Topics discussed in the forum may include Internationalising the Curriculum, Student Experience, Student Mobility, Sustainable Development Goals and alike. Student Leaders will also support the promotion of events and initiatives and lead on the development of certain projects.
Duration: one year from October 2021 to September 2022
- Welcome session: Student Leaders will be required to attend an online welcome session in November (date to be confirmed), where you will be given an overview of Global Engagement at City, meet staff from the Office for Global Engagement and fellow Student Leaders. You will also be introduced to the concept of Intercultural Competencies and asked to reflect on your own skills and intercultural awareness.
- Project Management workshop: Student Leaders will be expected to attend a professional development workshop on Project Management in February 2022 (date to be confirmed). The workshop will aim to develop your essential knowledge and skills in Project Management.
- Leadership in a Global Context workshop: Student Leaders will be expected to attend a professional development workshop on Leadership in a Global Context in May 2022 (date to be confirmed). The workshop will aim to develop your essential knowledge and skills in Leadership and Management.
- Review and Award session: Student Leaders will be expected to attend a review and award session in August 2022 (date to be confirmed) to reflect on your skills, identify your strength and weakness, set goals and plan your own development activities. You will also have the opportunity to celebrate your achievement and networking with fellow Student Leaders and City staff.
Note: Events listed above may be delivered online in accordance with the University’s health and safety requirements. Professional development workshops could be delivered by City staff or external instructors.
During the programme, as Student Leaders you will be able to identify and develop your international understanding and culture awareness. You will also be able to develop your project management skills and leadership qualities in a global context. You will learn, appreciate and evaluate different international perspective, and enhance and apply your international communication skills in both verbal and written contexts.
Student Leaders who have attended the Global Engagement Forum and professional development workshops will receive a Certificate of Achievement at the end of the programme. Student Leaders who have outstanding performance and contribution will receive a Certificate of the Best Student Leader award and a £50 Amazon voucher.
Benefits of becoming a Student Leader
- Be prioritised and get paid for on campus events
- Recognised position within the University
- Essential training to build your knowledge and skills
- Experience of working in varied roles, an excellent addition to your CV
- Develop skills through training and work experience
- Networking for future career opportunities
- Receive a recognition for your achievement
- City registered current undergraduate students at any stage of their studies
- Good knowledge of City campus and student support services
- Good organisational and communication skills
- Flexible, reliable and open minded
- Willing to work with people from diverse cultures
Current undergraduate students will apply directly to the Office for Global Engagement by emailing their CV and a covering letter to Global Engagement Manager Ina Wang (email@example.com). Informal enquiries can also be made to Ina Wang. Applications will close on Friday 15th October 2021 (extended). Around 20 students will be selected and informed by the end of October 2021.