Advice and treatment from the Nurse Advisor

Student Health Service

The Student Health Service is located in the Health Centre, opposite Santander Bank, Level 1, Drysdale Building, Northampton Square.

We provide a daily nurse-led drop-in clinic for all students at 1pm to 3pm. The Nurse Advisor, Chris Barnes, is able to advise you on a range of health issues including minor illness and injury.

Nurse Advisory Service

The Nurse Advisor, Chris Barnes, is available for advice and in some cases treatment for minor illnesses, accidents, issue prescriptions and provide general advice on health matters and contraception.

Services available

General health advice

The Nurse Advisor can provide information on a wide range of health problems including:

If you have medication issued by your GP which needs injecting, e.g. B12 injections, the Nurse Advisor may be able to do this.

You can consult the Nurse Advisor during the daily drop-in sessions. You do not need to make an appointment. Drop in 1pm-3pm.

The Nurse Advisor can also advise you if you need to see a GP. Please make sure you register with a GP.

Stop smoking

The Nurse Advisor at the Health Centre is able to advise you with:

  • Hints and tips on how to kick the habit
  • Information about the health benefits of stopping
  • Help with setting a quit date
  • Information about the wide range of nicotine-replacement therapy and other methods available
  • Follow up assistance to help you "stay stopped".

NHS Smoking Helpline - 0800 169 0169.


Meningitis & MMR

If you are 24 years old or younger and starting university for the first time it is strongly recommended that you have the Men ACWY vaccine. Meningitis is a serious infection which can kill.

Mumps has also become a problem in some UK universities. We are recommending that all students who have not had two doses of the MMR vaccine visit the Health Centre or their GP as soon as possible to have the vaccine. There is no upper age limit for having the vaccine. There will be no charge for being immunised.

You can get both vaccines at the Student Health Centre or from your GP free of charge.

To receive the Meningitis ACWY vaccination from the Nurse Advisor in the Student Health Service you will need to be a first year undergraduate who is registered with Clerkenwell Medical Practice.

If you are not a Student registered with Clerkenwell Medical Practice, you can receive the vaccination from your GP and you contact the Health Service for further advice about your options if you do not have a GP.

Travel health

We offer advice on all aspects of health and disease while abroad. You can check which vaccinations you need for your specific travel destination online.


Students with a disability or significant medical problem are encouraged to see the Nurse Advisor at the Health Centre to discuss any special needs or emergency procedures irrespective of whether they have a General Practitioner (GP) elsewhere. The Disability Coordinator within City's Disability Service is able to offer advice and guidance on all aspects of disability.

Student Counselling Service

Also located in Level 1 of Drysdale Building , this is a free, confidential service for students who want to talk to a counselling professional. Find out more about the Counselling Service.

Sexual health

Contraception advice

This service is available to both men and women for confidential advice on all methods of contraception. Free condoms are available for all students during drop-in sessions or from reception.

Self-test Chlamydia packs are available from the Nurse Advisor. The Nurse Advisor may be able to prescribe the contraceptive pill.

Emergency contraception

The ‘morning after pill’ can be issued by the Nurse Advisor and is effective if taken up to 72 hours after unprotected sex. You can get this free at your GP or family planning clinic.

A coil (IUCD) can be fitted up to five days after unprotected sex but this requires referral to a family planning clinic.

Pregnancy tests

The Nurse Advisor is able to perform pregnancy tests and advise on unplanned pregnancy.

More information on sexual health and sexual health services offered by the Student Health Service.

Concerned about HIV? Pick up a self-test kit from the Student Health Service in confidence.