Student Adviser Team

Student Adviser Team - Student Support Services

The Student Adviser team team are based in the Student Centre which is open Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm (from 11am on Thursdays) and located on the 2nd floor of University Building.

We act as your first port of call to receive friendly, professional, and efficient advice and guidance related to your life as a student at City.

We provide general advice, produce documents, signpost to services across the university, and provide both practical and emotional support that will help you throughout your time at City including any issues that may arise for you during the cost-of-living crisis.  For one to one general advice and cost-of-living support please book a confidential remote general advice appointment .

We are on hand to talk to in person, by phone or by email. Please include your Student ID number when contacting us as it helps us locate your record faster (that’s the 9-digit number, the first two digits usually being the year you started your course e.g. 23 for 2023).

If you are not sure who to contact or just need help, you can always look to the Student Adviser Team to support.

About us

Getting Started

All new students at City, University of London are required to register online. Once you have an unconditional offer of a place on a course and the admissions staff for your course have received and logged your firm acceptance of that offer, you will be sent an email with a unique link to your registration homepage, where you can start the process of registering as a student.

You will also be able to activate your City email address, set up a password and use your credentials to access Moodle, our virtual learning portal.

  • Ensure your contact details are up to date

It's important to keep your contact details, such as your term-time address and next of kin information, up to date on e:Vision, so that we can support you at the right time during your student journey.

You'll need your City user ID and password to log in (you'll have set up your password as part of your Student Account activation).

  • Attend your Induction

Each Programme will have an induction and a range of activities to take part in during Welcome Week to help you prepare and thrive during your time at City.

The details of these activities will be communicated to you via email and are also available online on the Student Hub.

  • Check your City email account

It is crucial that you check your City email account regularly as important information from your School and the University will be sent to you via this channel. Your password will be the same you set up as part of your Student Account activation).

  • Ensure you have access to Moodle

Moodle is City’s virtual learning environment which hosts a range of resources to complement your learning experience. You should ensure your Moodle account is set up correctly.

You will need your City username and password to log in.

  • Get a student bank account

Whether you're a UK student or an overseas student, opening a UK student bank account will allow you to manage your finances more efficiently and securely and access benefits of a student bank account.

If your programme of studies lasts less than six months, you may not be able to open a bank account, but you may be able to get a pre-paid cash card instead.

  • Register with a GP

It is crucial that you are registered with at GP (General Practitioner) while you study at City so that you can get medical care if you need it.

Your GP should be the first point of contact for your physical or mental health concerns.

  • Check our Prepare to Start guide

Our Prepare to Start guide has tips and recommendations on how to start your journey at City, including support, student discounts and life in London.

ID Cards

As a student of City, University of London student you are required to always carry your student ID card with you whilst on university premises. The card provide access to many areas of the University and is proof of your status as a registered student at this institution.

Most ID cards are issued during the student registration process at the beginning of the academic year. Subsequent replacement or reissue of cards are conducted in the Student Centre, where the following can be obtained:

  • replacement cards which have been lost/stolen/inactive
  • ID cards for students who register late on their course throughout the academic year
  • replacement cards for students who are granted an extension by their course office.

If you’re wanting an alumni ID card, please contact the Alumni team.

Cost of replacement ID cards

There is a charge for replacing lost ID cards. You can purchase your replacement card online via the estore for £7.

If you have been a victim of crime and have had your ID card stolen, a replacement will be provided free of charge on production of evidence of a police crime reference number.

Updating student details

Change of name: If you need to correct or update your name on your student record, please notify us via email (using your City email address). You will need to provide a copy of an official document (e.g wedding certificate or deed poll) to your request.

To change your ‘known as or preferred first name’: No documentation is required -please email your request to us.

Correcting your date of birth, nationality or ethnicity: Please notify us via email, attaching a copy of your passport/ National ID card.

Change of address/ phone number: It is a legal requirement that you provide us with a current contact address and inform us of any changes to your address. You can check that your address is up to date and update your address and personal details by logging into your e:Vision account. If you have any difficulties with this, please email us with your new address details.

Change of email address: If you have corrected or updated your name and would like this to be reflected in your City email address, please contact the IT Service Desk by logging a Service Now request. Once you have logged a request, a member of the team will be in touch to advise you further.

Change of course details: To request a change to your course, course start or end date, please request this via your School Course Office.

Student letters for bank accounts and council tax

We can provide you with the following official student letters:

Student Status letter - this letter confirms your enrolment as a student at City, University of London and is most used for council tax exemption.

What is council tax?

Council tax is a monthly payment that households in the UK must pay to their local council, which goes towards funding local services.

However, there are some exemptions and not everyone has to pay. Students are included in that exemption, but this will depend on who you are living with.

Currently, households where all residents are full-time students are exempt from paying any council tax. A full-time student is defined by a course that lasts for at least a year and must be over 21 hours of study per week.

Part time students are not eligible for council tax exemption, but you may be eligible for a discount depending on your household situation- please check the Government website for further information about discounts and exemption.

Bank letter – this letter can be used to open a student bank account and will be addressed to the bank of your choice. Eligibility criteria is set by the bank, so please check your preferred bank website for more information.

Schengen visa letter – this letter can be addressed to the embassy and is used to apply for Schengen visa applications.

e:Vision self-service guide

If you are a undergraduate student, these letters are available for you to download as a PDF document on e:Vision under ‘official student letters’. If you notice your details are incorrect, you can also update them under the ‘personal details’ section on e:Vision.

Requesting a letter (PG/Alumni)

If you’re a postgraduate or alumni student, you can email the Student Adviser Team and we can produce a letter for you. Please email us on with your student ID number.

Part time students will need to contact their School to obtain these letters.

Student travel discounts

As a student at City, you may be eligible for travel discounts on Transport for London (TfL) and National Rail services.

There are a few different ways to pay for your travel on these services:

- TfL: You can pay with an Oyster card, contactless bank card, buy a paper ticket or use the TfL Oyster and contactless app. Please check the TfL website for more information

- National Rail: You can buy a ticket for your travel online, at a station or over the phone. For some services in London, you can also pay via contactless bank card. Please check the National Rail website for more information.

Please note that London buses are cashless, so you will need to use an Oyster card or a contactless bank card to pay for your journey.

Oyster Card

An Oyster card is a smartcard that is used to hold money, travelcards and bus and tram passes. You can top up your card at any shop that has the blue Oyster card sign and at London Underground or London Overground stations (You can use your Oyster card on all the TfL services in London.)

16+ and 18+ Student Oyster card:

If you are still 18 in August, you can use a 16+ Oyster card for the first year of university.

If you are 18 or over and are in full time education in London, you can use the 18+ Oyster. The 18+ Oyster card entitles you to receive 30% off the price of an adult travelcard, bus and tram pass. Find out more on the TfL website.

Eligibility criteria: If you're 18 or over, live at a London address during term time and in full-time education, or on a mandatory work placement in London, you may be eligible for an 18+ Student Oyster photocard. You must be fully enrolled as a City student before you will be eligible, so please only apply once you are fully registered. Full terms and conditions including the eligibility criteria can be found on the TfL website.

How to apply: You will need to make an application online. You will need to provide:

  • An active email address
  • Student enrolment ID from your school, college or university
  • Your date of birth (DD/MM/YYYY) 
    Your start date and end date of your course. (Ask your course officer if you are unsure).
  • London borough address
  • Digital photo which must be a .jpg, .bmp or .gif file and less than 6MB

You will need to pay an administration fee of £20 using a credit or debit card. You can get a photocard valid for up to three years of your course. TfL will post your 18+ Student Oyster photocard to you once the Student Adviser Team have approved your application, you will receive notification of this from TfL via email. Please note: when entering the institution name, please ensure that you type the following: City, University of London. Please also ensure that you take the time to fill in the form as City is not responsible for any inaccuracies made on the form and it will remain pending on the TFL system.

Changes to your course: If your course end date is extended you will need to apply for a new Oyster card to cover the extended time. If your status changes and you are no longer eligible for the 18+ Oyster card we will report this to TfL.

If you have a query about the status of your application please contact the Student Adviser Team.


If you are studying for 15 hours or more per week for at least 20 weeks of the year, you may be eligible for a railcard, which gives you 1/3 off most rail fares throughout Great Britain. Check the 16-25 Railcard Website for more information.

As a postgraduate or research student, you may be eligible for travel discounts. If you are over 25, you can now apply for the 26-30 Railcard. You can apply for a railcard, no matter your age, if you are studying full-time at a college or University for 15 hours or more a week for at least 20 weeks a year. Read the full eligibility criteria for more information.

Adding your Railcard discount to your Oyster card: 18+ Student Oyster photocard holders who also have a 16-25 National Railcard can have the discount added to their 18+ Student Oyster photocard and they will get a 34% discount on the Off-Peak pay-as -you -go single fare for travel on Tube, DLR, London Overground and National Rail journeys in London. They can also get a 34% discount on the off-peak daily price cap.

To link your railcard and Oyster card, you will need to take your railcard and Oyster card to any London Underground or London Overground ticket office and ask the ticket clerk to add the discount to your Oyster card. This will be valid until the date of expiry on your railcard.

Signing Oyster card and Railcard forms: The Student Adviser Team can provide the University stamp needed to confirm your student status for Oyster cards and Railcard forms. Please request this via email attaching a copy of the form that needs to signed and stamped by us.


Q: How do I get confirmation of my academic progress? A: You can view your transcript online through e: Vision or you can request a physical copy of your academic transcript from your Course Office.

Q: I’m a sponsored student and need a receipt. Who do I contact? A: Receipts for students who have a Student Loan or sponsor, and invoices can be requested my emailing the Income Team at

Q: Who can help with IT login issues? A: If you are having difficulty logging in to Moodle or e:Vision, you should contact the IT Service Desk, or call the team via 020 7040 8181.

If your access has been blocked for financial reasons, please email the Income Team and allow 10 working days for a reply.

Q: I have been contacted about my attendance. Who do I contact?A: You are best to contact your Attendance & Engagement officer within your school. If you’re unsure who this is, please contact your course office or the student adviser team.

Q: Where can I find my term dates? A: You can find a full breakdown of the current and forthcoming term dates at City on the Academic Year page.

For Programme specific timetable and a letter confirming your term dates, please get in touch with your Course Office.

Q: Who can help with my Visa or CAS queries? A: If you are a new student, please request your CAS by emailing with your full name and student ID number (nine digits, the first two usually being the year you started your course e.g. 23 for 2023).

For any issues with your Tier 4 visa application such as refusals, please email Visa Advice with any supporting documentation so that they can advise you on the next steps.

Q: Who can help with Student Finance queries? A: Please visit City’s Fees and Finance page for information about tuition fee loans for undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral students, NHS funded course, financial support available at City and more.

Q: I need my attendance confirming to SLC, who do I contact? A: Please email to confirm your attendance or any change of circumstances with SLC.

Q: I submitted an appeal / extenuating circumstances claim / complaint and haven’t had a response yet. Who should I contact? A: These processes are managed within your School unless your complaint was made about a specific service. You should contact your Course Office (or the relevant service) to enquire about an update.


CityBot can give you an instant answer to many frequently asked questions. Use the link below and either follow the suggested answers or ask key words related to your question.

The “CityBot” software used on this page does not comply with accessibility legislation, as detailed in our accessibility statement, and we know it may be unusable for people with a visual impairment or other disability, or for people who use assistive technology to browse the web. The University has requested Gecko Labs Limited, whose software runs the chatbot functionality, to work to become compliant with WCAG 2.1 compliance level AA. Once this has been accomplished the statement will be updated.